Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mt brother wants to purchase a toy hauler this summer and the tongue weight (if thats the correct term) will be about 4k, total about 14-15k. He has a dmax 2500 which is at his upper limit and i have a F350, which would be safer and nicer to use considering he does not have 4wd. My question is can I order a simple rail kit so we both can use his Reese 16k hitch?:dunno:

Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch Rail and Installation Kit (Full Size) 6005 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

Is this the right wiring kit so i can have a trailer plug in the bed and where should it be mounted?:dunno:

Valley Fifth Wheel and Gooseneck Wiring Harness with 7-Pole - GM, Ford, Nissan with Factory Tow Pack V30133 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

Thank you for any input!!

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Yes you should be able to order just the rails for the hitch. I would think as long as they are from the same manufacturer or the same design as the manufacturer you should have no problems changing hitch between trucks.

The wiring harness you have a link for look slike the one you need.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Mt brother wants to purchase a toy hauler this summer and the tongue weight (if thats the correct term) will be about 4k, total about 14-15k. He has a dmax 2500 which is at his upper limit and i have a F350, which would be safer and nicer to use considering he does not have 4wd. My question is can I order a simple rail kit so we both can use his Reese 16k hitch?:dunno:

Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch Rail and Installation Kit (Full Size) 6005 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

Is this the right wiring kit so i can have a trailer plug in the bed and where should it be mounted?:dunno:

Valley Fifth Wheel and Gooseneck Wiring Harness with 7-Pole - GM, Ford, Nissan with Factory Tow Pack V30133 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

Thank you for any input!!
YES. I am assuming both y'all are running longbed's. If not a shortbed needs a slide hitch. And you can not switch from a slide hitch to stadard hitch. The rails are differ.
Man put some airbags under both trucks. 4-5K pin weight is ALOT. I sell big Fifth Wheels, They are mostly 3-4 slide High Profiles, weight around 14,500 GVW. And their pin wwieght is only around 1800-2400 at best.

Good Luck

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do have a shortbed and he has a long bed. airbags will be in for sure. My friends with toyhaulers have shortbeds and tow no problem, but i am aware of the issues with shortbeds and fifth wheels. Is it a big deal? His is a long bed, and his limiting factors are 2wd and the weight rating. Would you recomment any brand of airbags or any kit that is bolt on?

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
i do have a shortbed and he has a long bed. airbags will be in for sure. My friends with toyhaulers have shortbeds and tow no problem, but i am aware of the issues with shortbeds and fifth wheels. Is it a big deal? His is a long bed, and his limiting factors are 2wd and the weight rating. Would you recomment any brand of airbags or any kit that is bolt on?
2wd usually has a towing advantage due to the fact that they weigh less so they can actually tow more.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i thought bc he had a 2500 and I have a 350 I could tow more, per what the truck is rated for, maybe im wrong?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
2wd usually has a towing advantage due to the fact that they weigh less so they can actually tow more.
This is correct.

What does the front cap look like on the FW, Is it rounded on the front bottem. And does it have an " Extended hitch pin " This is were the pin does not drop straight down from the pin box. But extends forward 8 in. If so this will give you more turning radius.
Turning radius is your limitation here. Not the truck power or the truck itself.
You do understand that all fifth wheel hitches have to be installed directly over the rear axle. And if you have a short bed, Would't the hitch be closer to your back window then a longbed???????
This is were the slide hitch comes into play. When you get into a tight turn. You pull the lever on the slide hitch and your trailer slides back 8 inches. Now you can take a 90o turn. That is why I asked about the rounded front cap and extended hitch pin.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
i thought bc he had a 2500 and I have a 350 I could tow more, per what the truck is rated for, maybe im wrong?
You are right here 2500=3/4 ton F350=1 ton. Heavier truck. What he is saying is 2wd trucks had a higher tow rating than 4x4. No matter what the truck is.
Point is a 2wd 2500 diesel will have a higher rating than a 4x4 2500 diesel.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
You are right here 2500=3/4 ton F350=1 ton. Heavier truck. What he is saying is 2wd trucks had a higher tow rating than 4x4. No matter what the truck is.
Point is a 2wd 2500 diesel will have a higher rating than a 4x4 2500 diesel.
I was thinking the overall TOW weight they could haul would be the same, but the main difference would be in CARGO weight hauling. As far as in the bed. Meaning a 250 and 350 can tow the same amount of OVERALL weight, but tongue weight would be higher on the 350 and cargo capacity would be higher. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I was thinking the overall TOW weight they could haul would be the same, but the main difference would be in CARGO weight hauling. As far as in the bed. Meaning a 250 and 350 can tow the same amount of OVERALL weight, but tongue weight would be higher on the 350 and cargo capacity would be higher. :dunno:

Yes, And I agree

Yah. If you looked a tow ratings for a 250 and 350. Same set up motor/gear tranny tow pack. They would have the same over all rating.
But if we put a pallet of feed weighing 2500lbs. The 2500 would sink lower than the F350

But 2wd will always have a higher tow rating than 4. Equal motor/tranny ect ect

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Yes, And I agree

Yah. If you looked a tow ratings for a 250 and 350. Same set up motor/gear tranny tow pack. They would have the same over all rating.
But if we put a pallet of feed weighing 2500lbs. The 2500 would sink lower than the F350

But 2wd will always have a higher tow rating than 4. Equal motor/tranny ect ect
Good analogy! That is correct, sir! (in my best Ed Mcmahon voice):hehe::hehe:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Good analogy! That is correct, sir! (in my best Ed Mcmahon voice):hehe::hehe:
:clap::clap::clap:

WHY Thank you kind man.

I have found simple analogy's get you alot further than lengthy explainations.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Her is a thought for ya...Put a gooseneck in both trucks and convert the fifth wheel to gooseneck....or there are some companies that have a goooseneck hitch that has a fifthwheel adapter plate..try B&W hitches..It is a pretty neat set up....

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Her is a thought for ya...Put a gooseneck in both trucks and convert the fifth wheel to gooseneck....or there are some companies that have a goooseneck hitch that has a fifthwheel adapter plate..try B&W hitches..It is a pretty neat set up....
That would work if they were both longbeds. But one has a short box. And the front cap of the FW will hit the rear window in hard turns.
But I do gooseneck convers quit a bit here. Being in Texas 80% of folks already have the ball in the truck.

·
Registered
738 Posts
on a short bed the ball is suppose to be placed back farther than on a longbed...this is enough room to alow for the FW front end..This is the setup I converted to and my buddy with a shortbed dodge pulls my fifther with no problems...my ball is infront of the axle and his is slightly behind the axle...I know his wont handle as much weight because it is farther back but it handles a FW just fine...

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
on a short bed the ball is suppose to be placed back farther than on a longbed...this is enough room to allow for the FW front end..This is the setup I converted to and my buddy with a short bed dodge pulls my fifther with no problems...my ball is in front of the axle and his is slightly behind the axle...I know his wont handle as much weight because it is farther back but it handles a FW just fine...
I guess if that is the direction you wanted to take, You could. But as you read this Kat Say's he's got a 4500lbs pin weight. IF THAT is the case. I would go by the book. And have it directly over the axle.
But yes you can install as you described, And probably make it work.:dunno: When you are playing with this much weight, I would want it directly over my axle.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Unless you already have the frame rails for the hitch the kit you would want would be this one:

Fifth Wheel Hitch Custom Installation Brackets with Rails - 2005 - 2007 Ford Super Duty 50049-6008 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

The wiring harness looks like the one on my F250 so it's probably the correct one. Their ordering folks can help you to make sure.

As to a short bed without a slider hitch, you had better make sure the trailer has the extended pin box. When backing with a shortbed it is VERY easy to crumple the cab if you get forgetful about how close it really is.

Your truck has a higher payload but both trucks are fairly equal in overall towing capacity. The concern here would be for combined gross vehicle weight rating. That would be how much the truck AND the trailer weigh. Better check out the ratings for the truck and the max weight of the trailer. The kingpin weight should not be an issue with your truck.

Ken....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When we went looking the first thing my brother said was that it would be safer with my truck, only because of the 6,300 lbs (or whatever it is) my truck can handle versus his 4,xxx. The pin extender seems to make the most logical sense to me. If whoever he buys it from wants to sweeten the deal I will make them throw in a slider hitch as well. Thank you everyone for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

joe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts