Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide more detail about this? What is it about? Must do? Any "side-effects"? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I was looking for info myself. Seems to be a "fix on fail" thing just like the crankcase breather FSA. Not a lot of info that I could find.

·
Administrator
22,841 Posts
FSA vs a recall

A recall is safety related and must be fixed on all affected vehicles because the risk of there being a problem outweighs the cost of fixing all vehicles whether the issue shows up or not.
An FSA/FSB is just a "hey, we've noticed this thing might be broken so check and see if it is...and if it is, here's how to fix it."
With the FSA they are not going to fix all vehicles because there is no risk if some go un-fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Yeah, nothing out there. What do you mean by "fix on fail"? Thanks :)
Meaning it isn't a recall (for safety related items), and is not typically performed unless there is an actual issue. So if you got a CEL or really started gnawing through DEF and the problem was the NOX sensor calibration, it would be taken care of then.

Not sure if you know- the FSA has to do with NOX sensor calibration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Meaning it isn't a recall (for safety related items), and is not typically performed unless there is an actual issue. So if you got a CEL or really started gnawing through DEF and the problem was the NOX sensor calibration, it would be taken care of then.

Not sure if you know- the FSA has to do with NOX sensor calibration.
Interesting, my Fordpass app popped up today with a red "recall" message about the Nox sensor. You are saying it is not a recall but an FSA. I guess I should call the dealer and find out...

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Interesting, my Fordpass app popped up today with a red "recall" message about the Nox sensor. You are saying it is not a recall but an FSA. I guess I should call the dealer and find out...
Yeah, FordPass says the same on mine. Also said that the crankcase ventilation tube problem was a "recall". However, when you log in to owner.ford.com it comes up as a FSA for both.
Let us know what your dealer says please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone provide more detail about this? What is it about? Must do? Any "side-effects"? Thanks!
Hi, I have just had my 2016 F-350 in for this recall last week at local Ford dealer (North Vancouver, BC), following the service I drove another 100kms which produced an engine light and DEF system fault (with warning of speed reduction to 80km/h in 80kms)

For me this recall came about 12 days prior to warranty expiration and the recall actually performed in April which is out of warranty :/

The additional DEF faults seem to be IMO a direct result of the recall/PCM 21E01 update although the intent of the recall was to detect faults in the Nox sensors only.

Truck is currently back in the shop to determine what repairs are required and who is going to flip the bill... in the meantime i was fortunate enough to receive a loaner vehicle but has been a couple days with no answers..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, I have just had my 2016 F-350 in for this recall last week at local Ford dealer (North Vancouver, BC), following the service I drove another 100kms which produced an engine light and DEF system fault (with warning of speed reduction to 80km/h in 80kms)

For me this recall came about 12 days prior to warranty expiration and the recall actually performed in April which is out of warranty :/

The additional DEF faults seem to be IMO a direct result of the recall/PCM 21E01 update although the intent of the recall was to detect faults in the Nox sensors only.

Truck is currently back in the shop to determine what repairs are required and who is going to flip the bill... in the meantime i was fortunate enough to receive a loaner vehicle but has been a couple days with no answers..
Well, that sucks. Can you come back to this thread and let us know what happened at the end, when you find out? Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts