Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty sure i know the answer to this, but looking for input on it none the less.

FICM V is showing 47.5 :taze:.. i know it's supposed to be 48 constant regardless of starting.. running.. or pre starting the engine. When i crank it up it can drop to 46-47.5 range but after initial cranking and it turns over its back at the 47.5. How much dmg if any am i doing to the injectors?:dunno: Cranking doesn't last more than 5 seconds till it fires up so i still feel like i'm good as far as that goes

If im not doing dmg.. at what point do you say F it at buy a new power source side? i've heard 45V is the magic number to replace it for sure.. is this true?

As for replacements i am going with the BPD 6 phase FICM upgrade for reliability and redundancy. i've started saving since i've noticed this issue.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
IMO you're fine for now and your injectors are not being damaged. Mine is running the exact same as yours. I have seen mine hit 44V on a cold morning (32*f) for a few seconds. 45V is supposedly the replacement voltage or where you should start thinking about replacing. I too am looking at doing the BPD but I can't decide whether or not it's worth the extra $200 for the 6-phase over the 4-phase.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
47V+ is within spec and not hurting anything. Below 47 I'd start paying attention and when it starts dipping to 45-46 get rid of it, even if it is only for a few seconds on a cold day (after load testing the batteries and checking alternator of course). It will only get worse and it will damage your injectors, FICM's don't fix themselves! :D

My old FICM started dipping to 46ish starting when it was cold out. Over a few weeks it started falling lower and staying low longer and longer after the truck was running. Went with ficmrepair.com and I was good to go, 47.5-48 all the time.

My BPD unit runs at 47.5 to 48 ALL THE TIME, cold, hot, wet, dry, night or day. I have the insight alarm set at 47.2 and it has yet to go off. :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts