Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been a long two an a half months. Finally got the truck back on the road and she's running really well. Here's the list of mods I did.

New factory oil cooler
PMM EGR delete
Standpipes, dummy plugs, stc fitting, turbo feed and drain lines, glow plugs
OEM headgaskets and APR studs
MTW Stage 1 turbo with BatMoWheel
Warren 155/30 injectors
DD Stage 2 RR fuel system
ATS coolant recirculation kit
Cat ELC
PMM coolant filter
4" turbo back Diamond Eye exhaust with cat delete
Gogo direct solenoid
Precision Industries Stallion converter
S&B intake
Metal intercooler pipe to replace plastic junk one
Vivians Looney Wild Tune:D

So far I have put over 1000 miles and am very impressed. I had a 7.3 with a chip and it was quick, but the 6.0 is down right faasst! I don't want to beat on my truck, but I would like to dyno it and take it to the tack once, but I want to get everything out of it. Should I get a FICM tuner. I heard PHP's tuner is good. I know the hercules 100 hp tune will only net me 25-30 hp with the Looney Wild, and that's ok. I also read that Bill says it's the stock injectors that will limit this. What about with the 155/30 injectors? Haven't seen alot with bigger injectors and the Hercules tune reviews. Just want every last drop of hp so I can show my DMax friends. I thought about also getting an Airdog 150 and sump in conjuction with the factory pump, but right now I have the regulator set at 65 psi and maintain over 60 psi during WOT runs. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
you really only need one FICM tune unless your racing as going to big on a FICM tune can even hurt performance. More than the power that it adds is the mileage. Normally anywhere from 1-4mpg depending on your current FICM code and year.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it could hurt performance with stock injectors and the limit would be the injectors. That is why I wanted to see if anyone with bigger injectors got more out of a FICM tune with an aggressively tuned custom tune, like the Looney Wild.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have new ford stock injectors and my tunes are night and day between the stock ford FICM tune (the lastest suckiest) and the moderate (40hp) ID ficm tune. My personal Opinion is unless your racing you only need a mild to moderate FICM tune. ID now just ships a mild/hybrid tune because you really only need the FICM tune to open things up that the ECM tune needs to do. Also depending you what FICM tune you have it can hold back your ECM tunes. I just don't personally see the need for a FICM tuner with 4 FICM tunes when you really only need one. my :twocents:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
i dont think that a FICM tune is worth it once you have custom tunes. it only adds roughly 30 hp, can you really tell on an 8000 lb truck. or arew you shooting for dyno numbers only.
30hp may not sound like much but its a 10% increase in power. You would feel a difference if you lost 10%...from the factory 325 (flywheel) hp down to 292.5hp, so you should definatly feel a difference with the tune. Not only that, it helps the bottom end a lot from what I hear.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
I personally like the idea of having 4 FICM tunes to switch in/out. This gives me the option to run a aggressive FICM tune for race/DD, then drop back down to a mild FICM tune to tow.

IIRC, the Gryphon is on sale for $349.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
i dont think that a FICM tune is worth it once you have custom tunes. it only adds roughly 30 hp, can you really tell on an 8000 lb truck. or arew you shooting for dyno numbers only.
Only 30 hp, even if it adds 20 that is a lot.

Ficm tuning is the bees knees. Every 6.0l owner needs ficm tuning imo.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
177 Posts
I personally like the idea of having 4 FICM tunes to switch in/out. This gives me the option to run a aggressive FICM tune for race/DD, then drop back down to a mild FICM tune to tow.

IIRC, the Gryphon is on sale for $349.
The 6.0 ficm programmer is 400 not 349, I just got mine in the mail today. Also not mentioned is the increased low end, that and mileage is where the ficm tuning really shines.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
The 6.0 ficm programmer is 400 not 349, I just got mine in the mail today. Also not mentioned is the increased low end, that and mileage is where the ficm tuning really shines.
It's on sale right now!! PHP is celebrating 5yr anniversary!! Looks like you just missed out on saving $50!!

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
yea thats the nice thing about ID's tuner it's 299 from ID here
Yes, but for those who are just starting out and don't have a monitor, the extra $100 for the Gryphon can get them a basic monitor solution.

·
Registered
177 Posts
yea thats the nice thing about ID's tuner it's 299 from ID here
I don't know much about id's tuner they aren't descriptive with the tune information. But for information sake if we're throwing out prices, you can also rent a programmer form php for 150 I think to tune you ficm or pay 400 to keep the programmer with 4 tunes

·
Registered
177 Posts
The gryphonis for the f150 trust me I checked. I to thought that was the price. Here is the link to the 6.0 ficm programmer
Php FICM

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Touché. Owell I order awhile back anyways, well before that was posted but nice to know and I did inquire about the discounted price on the 28th guess they werent feeling generous then

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Yes, but for those who are just starting out and don't have a monitor, the extra $100 for the Gryphon can get them a basic monitor solution.
I guess, but going to the older gyphon is a bit like going back to windows 95. If Bill could ever get this in a newer setup it would be better in my book. I just still don't see the need for more than a mild FICM tune for the average person that doesn't race. depends on what a person wants at the end of it all.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's on sale right now!! PHP is celebrating 5yr anniversary!! Looks like you just missed out on saving $50!!
Guess I will be ordering mine tomorrow. Still would like to know if it adds any more with bigger injectors. I keep reading that when used with a ECM tune that the FICM tune only adds 20-30 hp due to the fact of maxing out the stock injectors. Just wondering that with bigger injectors maybe the difference would be maybe 30-40 hp? Wishful thinking right. Thought maybe someone had bigger injectors and dyno numbers. I will be dynoing mine after I get it, so I guess I'll be the first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts