Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a 2006 f350 that just had a rebuilt engine installed, new cam, ext.. well the guy i bought the truck from installed the engine and could never get it running right it off of him hoping i could figure it out. haha we will see its been a pain so far

I have no sync, but i do have ficm sync. the truck will start after cranking for a while and run like crap sounds like an injector knock, or the timing is off (I hope not) and white smoke.

So a few of the many things i have tried so far are i pulled known good crank and cam sensors from my excursion and swapped sensors to make sure that wasn't the problem. I swapped ficms, and the f350s pcm runs the excursion just fine but the excursions wont start the truck probaby due to pats. none of these changed anything.

Next i pulled the center connector to the pcm and did the ohm tests back to the cam and the crank sensors both checked out good also the hz test was good.

Where i am at now is i found that back probing the pcm connector from pins 31 and 43 key on i have the 1.4 hz while cranking key on, when i move to pins 20 and 43 my hz reading goes up to around 10 to 11.4 hz. This makes me think the pcm is bad except that it ran just fine when installed in the excursion. Maybe a short or ground problem to the pcm? Let me know if anyone has any ideas thanks

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,850 Posts
The only time I have seen this is when the cam shaft and crank shaft gears (timing) were aligned wrong ... off by a tooth or maybe 180 degrees off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that is what i have been wondering the whole time. What would you suggest get it scoped and would they be able to tell if the timing was only off by one tooth, or is it possible for me to tell with a compression test if the timing is off i am thinking i wouldn't be able to tell. Or i could just dig in and pull the cab and get to work haha. thanks bismic for the reply

·
5,850 Posts
PM sent

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Pull the flywheel/flexplate off and remove the crank adapter -- make note of the dowel location -- the crank may or may not have a dowel to locate the adapter, but the outer dowel goes opposite(half turn) from the key on the crank gear -- you can then see the cam and crank timing marks

Clean the surfaces and use Loctite to seal the crank/adapter surface when reinstalling

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok pulled the cab today and will get to the timing marks tomorrow, will make sure i take good note of the adapter to get it back on the same way. so is there an easy way to spin the cam without removing the heads? i think im going to find the timing off but we will see.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
If the marks are off, it may be easier to pull the crank gear a little to disengage the teetn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so the timing is on im not sure if im happy or sad about that. If it would have been off at least i had found the problem. It might be time to replace the engine harness because i have swapped the ficm, pcm, crank and cam sensors off of a good truck whats left? Maybe the timing ring on the crankshaft.

·
Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Well, at least you know the timing is correct

See the keyway on the crank gear? The dowel pin on the adapter goes 180 from that key

·
5,850 Posts
Thanks for posting a conclusion over on PSN.

So you dropped the oil pan and found a loose/bent crank shaft tone ring?

I would imagine that there are a few techs here that would feel better about the decision on a new crank shaft since you "messed with the no-no bolts" (rear crank shaft flange). That said, seems like a lot of people have successfully removed and re-installed that flange.

I started doing some research to put together a "SYNC troubleshooting" thread and that was going to be my next recommendation. You might also want to consider making sure that the pin on the cam shaft is securely in place.

Also, I hope you don't mind, but I used one of your pictures in the thread that I am putting together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i stuck my camera in the crankshaft sensor hole and spun the engine over, on the right side of the tone ring you can see the spacing gap it stayed the same most of the way around and them moved over for about an 1/8 of the turn. So excited to pull the engine and crank but at least i found the problem and can get going on getting it fixed. You are welcome to my pictures.
thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts