Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i bought my truck a few months ago, things have progressively gotten worse. Rough cold starts, drives with seemingly no power until completely warmed up. So i bought a scan gauge to look at some indicators. EOT and ECT read almost identical numbers all the time and battery voltage reads at 13vdc. From reading i'm assuming the "FMP" in the scangauge is supposed to read FICM voltage and with that being that case the truck jumps from 47.5 to 48v with key on, engine off and 48v while running. So i'm thinking the FICM is good?

Where do I go to next? I just replaced the EGR valve last weekend and that made some improvements and I believe that the EGR cooler was replaced shortly prior to my purchase but i'm not 100% sure on that as I don't completely trust what dealers tell me. Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The logic side of an FICM can got out and it will still show the 48v reading. The only way that I know that you can test this is to take a known good FICM and put it in your truck and see if problems persist.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Could also be stiction. Most guys have had good results with rotella t6. You could try, rex-x. Make sure your running motorcraft filters and caps. It wouldnt hurt to test your fuel pressure also.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could also be stiction. Most guys have had good results with rotella t6. You could try, rex-x. Make sure your running motorcraft filters and caps. It wouldnt hurt to test your fuel pressure also.

I am now running Rev-X as of the beginning of the week. It definitely seemed to make a difference. I also believe I may have an exhaust leak somewhere under the hood as when i'm parked it smells bad of exhaust coming through my vents...I just can't find where its coming from. Do the clamps on the back of the turbo that go to the exhaust ever go bad?

Overall though, am I correct in that the FMP # with the scangauge is the FICM voltage that would be read if I did it manually with a multimeter under the hood?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The clamps usually don't break on their on. If you have not been messing with any of the exhaust system, I would imagine that the flex joints on the up-pipes have gone bad. Also check around where your exhaust manifolds bolt up to the head, they leak sometimes and have to put gaskets in there.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I suppose the clamps could go bad, but likely someone else messed with it and didn't line it up correctly. It cannot be lined up or pulled in place with the clamp. Your exhaust flex joint may be cracked also. I believe you are reading the ficm voltage correctly on the monitor. I use edge insight.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
What exactly is your eot and ect temps there should be a 5 to 8*F difference. Your post says nearly identical.

I suspect the PCM is keeping in closed loop useing the default paremeters and ignoreing your throttle commands because it thinks the engine isn't at operateing temps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Danny, you are correct, there is a 5 to 8 degree difference. I just knew it was within the 15 degree window. I'm suspect about what the scangauge is reading now. I plugged it into another guys 6.0 and it read as if the ficm was fine but then for the heck of it I tested manually with a multimeter in the ficm and read 36v. I trust the multimeter more than the scangauge at this point I think. I'm waiting for my truck to cool down to test mine

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 8 of 8 Posts