Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon 6.0 enthusiasts,

Is my ficm on the way out? With an edge insight, the voltage is in spec with key on engine off and during cold start cranking at 48 plus, but right after a normal startup the volts drop to 44-45 for a minute, the fluctuate between 47 and 50 when warm. This is a newer phenomenon. Thanks!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Sounds like you need to call Ed @ ficmrepair.com.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I dont know what mine is when cranking, but while driving I am at 46-47.50. Mine is flucuating (sp) is that normal?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It fluctuating is normal as long as it stays above 45v. If yours is never getting up to 48v then you might want to keep some cash on hand for when you need to call Ed.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Afternoon 6.0 enthusiasts,

Is my ficm on the way out? With an edge insight, the voltage is in spec with key on engine off and during cold start cranking at 48 plus, but right after a normal startup the volts drop to 44-45 for a minute, the fluctuate between 47 and 50 when warm. This is a newer phenomenon. Thanks!

I just re-read your post. If it was me i would get my batteries and alternator load tested. It sounds to me like that when you glow plugs are on that the ficm is not getting 12v and therefore cannot make it up to 48v. I would lean more toward the batteries than the alternator but get them both tested. If either of the batteries is bad replace both. I would not run Optimas if you have to replace them.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
It fluctuating is normal as long as it stays above 45v. If yours is never getting up to 48v then you might want to keep some cash on hand for when you need to call Ed.

this is what I was thinking. oh well. I wonder if it is covered in my warranty?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all, I talked with the local diesel performance shop here in Green Bay Wisconsin and they are going to load test the batteries and alternator and replace the ficm if necessary from this local company

http://www.gbreman.com/docs/salesbulletins/GB_Sales_Bulletin_Ford_FICM_Modules.pdf

Anyone heard of this ficm reman company? The shop said they drop shipped 7 for them today.

Anyways, my voltage running after an 8 hr cold soak is going as low as 43 v now, but when cranking and warm is is spec. I take it in next week. Quoted 600$ for R and R. Seems fair?? I don't have time to take the truck off the road while sending in my core and waiting for a new one in the mail. Not sure about if they do ficm tunes yet. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts