Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 05 f-350 Im having concerns on a voltage readout problem. At KOEO I get a reading of 48.3 volts. After I start engine it drops to 33.3 volt and takes around 8 mins. to get back to 48.3 volts When I rev it to 3000 rpms within that 8 mins. I notice a miss, but when its hitting 48 volts it smooth as can be. I checked plug ins and wiring. Is my FICM on its way out or do I have another problem.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It figures. I also get a code P0611 and my scantron shows all injectors to have low voltage. I guess I better check out Swamps on getting my fixed or replaced. whats the advantage to getting a 58 volt FICM

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
The P0611 is telling you your FICM is dead, As are the low voltage codes to your injectors. Low voltage can hurt the injectors, so be careful.
The 58volt version gives a quicker throttle response, some say it just "runs better."

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
or you could fix it yourself

·
Registered
7 Posts
mine says low voltage on my sf3 sct tuner and it used to miss but thats why my coolant resivor had cracks on the bottom of it and leaking on the ficm and shorting it out. i fixed the resivor and it hasnt missed a beat but it still shows low voltage and sometimes tells me my injectors are low pressure?

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
i dont think that was effecting the ficm, it is very well sealed from the eliments and the dale chips in the ficm are what separate from the board and that is was causes the ficm to go bad.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Just Google Swamps FICM, you'll find a place to purchase it, though I would recommend purchasing it thru one of our site sponsors, I have to assume that one would sell it as they are a fairly common upgrade.

One question I have about them, though I probably already know the answer. I hear that they have been known to make the trucks run better, but I have the 100k 5 yr Ford extended warranty, and don't want to give them any reason to reject a claim. Is there any way that an upgraded FICM could cause any issues with other components? Obviously, I wouldn't expect them to cover a Swamps unit under the warranty, but would having the 58v unit put any other system under additional stress, thereby giving the dealer the chance to say "Ah HA! You have one of Those, which caused this and that to go bad, so it wouldn't be a covered warranty repair. Sorry!" I certainly don't want to go down that path, and the FICM voltage was fine yesterday, I just hooked up my new Insight for the 1st time last nite. Neat new toy! Would it be better to follow the path of if it ain't broke, don't fix it, or would upgrading now just be taking care of the inevitable, with the added bonus of better throttle response? One last question about it, if you do upgrade the FICM to 58v, are there any other ancillary parts that are related to the FICM which would be a good idea to replace while you're in there digging around?

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Nope, the 58v FICM is fine as a stand alone upgrade. It just opens and closes the injector spool valves quicker resulting in quicker injection operation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts