Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a scangaugeII that i use to monitor the engine parameters on my 2007F 350. Just playing around yesterday and looking at other parameters on the scangauge raised a few questions. FLP, Ficm Logic Power- reads 13, i guess thats 13 volts?
FMP-Ficm Main Power- cruising home after work, reads 44 to 46. Now upon "start up" this am, this parameter reads 47 with Key on, then drops to 35 when truck started, after 5 minutes still in the low 40's, after 15 minutes at work in the parking lot, reads 46 to 47.
Truck runs as it normally does, has 108,000miles, original factory FICM.
do i have a FICM problem ?

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Yep, you definitely have a power supply problem with your FICM. Get the BulletProof FICM and don't look back. You don't want to wait too long because a failing FICM can cause injector problems and/or can leave you stranded. The only time my truck has left me stranded was due to my FICM. :doh: It had been giving me codes for several weeks, so I can't say I wasn't warned. Now, I don't worry about it at all. In fact, I don't even monitor my FICM voltage because of my confidence in my BPD FICM. :thumb:

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Its the main power I'd be concerned with. I'd also go with either of the offerings from BPD. 4ph, if you are sure to stay 48v, or 6ph for additional redundancy or 53v or 58v option (I don't see the benefit in higher voltage, but its a selling point to some.)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
currently the truck is not giving me any codes, who knows how long this ficm has been this way. i normally only monitor EOT,ECT,TFT, and Boost with my scangaugeII.
i would like to do the BPD 4 phase FICM, but i dont want to be without transportation for a day or two. If only BPD could send me a 4phase FICM, then i send mine in as a core.

Yep, you definitely have a power supply problem with your FICM. Get the BulletProof FICM and don't look back. You don't want to wait too long because a failing FICM can cause injector problems and/or can leave you stranded. The only time my truck has left me stranded was due to my FICM. :doh: It had been giving me codes for several weeks, so I can't say I wasn't warned. Now, I don't worry about it at all. In fact, I don't even monitor my FICM voltage because of my confidence in my BPD FICM. :thumb:

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
currently the truck is not giving me any codes, who knows how long this ficm has been this way. i normally only monitor EOT,ECT,TFT, and Boost with my scangaugeII.
i would like to do the BPD 4 phase FICM, but i dont want to be without transportation for a day or two. If only BPD could send me a 4phase FICM, then i send mine in as a core.
The low voltage won't throw a code until it starts killing injectors.

No reason to be without transportation for a couple of days with the BPD set up. Take a look at their instruction PDF online, swapping out the powerboard will not take very long at all, once you have the FICM off that truck. I'd say less than 20 mins, but I'm used to swapping boards in this manner.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
BPD doesnt need yours as a core IIRC. They dont use any stock parts in their Power supply half.

You would be getting a power supply and using your logic board

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay, so how diffucult is it to swap the BPD power supply into my FICM?
I would buy there 4 phase power supply

BPD doesnt need yours as a core IIRC. They dont use any stock parts in their Power supply half.

You would be getting a power supply and using your logic board

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
okay, so how diffucult is it to swap the BPD power supply into my FICM?
I would buy there 4 phase power supply

It is very easy to swap!!!
You just unscrew 12 screws total, pull your stock FICM apart into 2 halves, replace the stock power supply half with the Bulletproof power supply half, re-install the screws and it is ready :D

Here is mine that I just replaced with the 6 phase:

Bulletproof 6 phase power supply on the left
Stock power supply in the middle
Logic board half of FICM on the right

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE : I installed a new BPD 48v FICM today with the help of my 10 yr old daughter ! It was really that easy ! After the install the FICM read 48V, cranked the truck FICM reads 48V, go take my wife and two daughters shopping, FICM voltage monitored by scangaugeII, never dropped below 47V, majority of the time it stayed between 47.5 and 48 volts ! Truck idled smoother and a little quiter.
excellent product from BPD.:thumb:

·
Administrator
30,455 Posts
whats the 4 phase run $ ?

EDIT NM I checked their site the 6 phase is $695 - $200 (less) for the 4 phase

I would still spring for the extra redundancy ,, but likely never need it

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Glad to hear it runs better! I'm getting ready to get a BPD unit myself soon. I talked with them about it and even they say unless you are interested in changing voltages you really only need the 4-phase.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts