Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past few mornings my truck has been a little bit harder to start. It cranks for about 3 seconds then finally rolls over. My CTS is showing 39.5 to 40.0 FICM volts on start up. After truck gets to operating temps the voltage goes up to 47.5-50.0 volts. So is it time for the FICM to be replaced? And truck has 150k miles on it. :ford:

·
Registered
454 Posts
mine was acting the same way, with only 108,000miles, i replaced it with a BPD 48v FICM. Runs great, smoother idle, and seems to start a little faster, at least the FICM voltage has not dropped below 47v since i installed the BDP FICM, most of the time it reads 47.5 to 48.

The past few mornings my truck has been a little bit harder to start. It cranks for about 3 seconds then finally rolls over. My CTS is showing 39.5 to 40.0 FICM volts on start up. After truck gets to operating temps the voltage goes up to 47.5-50.0 volts. So is it time for the FICM to be replaced? And truck has 150k miles on it. :ford:

·
Registered
188 Posts
+1. I completely agree. Mine was getting as low as 28v on a cold start but would run around 46v at operating temps. Replaced it with an upgraded unit from Ed @ FICM Repair. It runs at 48-49v at all times now and starts better than brand new. I would definitely get ir replaced as soon as possible.

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, thanks for the input. I've been looking at the 48 FICM from quick tricks. Anyone running this? mfdengineer how much did your unit cost from FICM repair. And are these pretty simple to install, I've never done one.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
After installing a new 6ph BPD FICM, I have a 2 yr old 58v Swamps FICM for sale, was used for about 10k miles.
Send me a PM if you have any interest in it.

EDIT - The Swamps FICM I has been sold

·
Registered
188 Posts
Alright, thanks for the input. I've been looking at the 48 FICM from quick tricks. Anyone running this? mfdengineer how much did your unit cost from FICM repair. And are these pretty simple to install, I've never done one.
I got the 2yr upgraded unit with the atlas 40 PHP tune and the blue spring fuel pressure upgrade for $585. He has his prices posted on his website so check that out. I highly recommend him.

Installation is not easy but manageable. I recommend draining some coolant and removing the degas bottle. It really gives you some much needed room. The connectors on the bottom side of the FICM are a pain but it can be done. Overall it wasn't too bad.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
No need to drain the degas bottle, just unbolt the two 8mm bolts and push to the side.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I found the easiest was was to plug the two degas bottle holes and take the whole intake assembly out and push the degas bottle on its side down where the intake used to be.

Little more work, but so much more space to work with.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright I'll keep that in mind. I'm just trying to make up my mind now to upgrade to 58v or just my old one repaired

·
Registered
188 Posts
You can definitely do it with the the degas bottle pushed to the side. I just found it easier to remove it completely so you can take advantage of the extra room. This allowed me to get both arms to the back of the FICM to remove the two bolts. This also makes it a bit easier to remove the plugs. It doesn't take that much more time to drain enough coolant to remove the degas bottle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts