Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I just went and tested my FICM. It never dropped below 48 volts during KOENR, while cranking, and KOEO. I've had a cold start problem with what I thought was stiction for a while now. It has always been the number 2 injector and would go away after the oil temp got to about 130. The other day I switched to a lower hp tune and now the number 8 injector is throwing a code instead of the number 2. This lead me to believe that maybe the FICM is bad but I just found out that is not the case. I do not know what to do now. I have one injector that I just ordered this week and I was going to replace one and maybe do the sandpaper stiction trick on the whole bank but Idk. Any ideas on what is going on?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Are you looseing sync at any time?
I don't know what the sandpaper trick is but I cringe at the idea. But thats just me I guess.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sandpaper trick I'm referring to is taking sandpaper to the spool valve on the injectors to clean up any varnish or coked oil. To make the spool valves move more freely. But what do you mean "lose sync"?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Cody see the other post; what kills a FICM; Tko has an easier to understand reply than mine.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Okay guys, I just went and tested my FICM. It never dropped below 48 volts during KOENR, while cranking, and KOEO. I've had a cold start problem with what I thought was stiction for a while now. It has always been the number 2 injector and would go away after the oil temp got to about 130. The other day I switched to a lower hp tune and now the number 8 injector is throwing a code instead of the number 2. This lead me to believe that maybe the FICM is bad but I just found out that is not the case. I do not know what to do now. I have one injector that I just ordered this week and I was going to replace one and maybe do the sandpaper stiction trick on the whole bank but Idk. Any ideas on what is going on?
Just because the main power voltage doesn't drop doesn't mean the FICM is good. This sounds like either an injector or FICM issue. Since the problem moved from one injector to another my money is on the FICM.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well. I pulled the injector that was giving me a code and it had a bad o ring. The shop I had do it last time must have messed up. But anyway it will be fixed right now and I'm checking the rest of the banks o rings tonight. We will see how it goes!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
656 Posts
If your mechanic messed up the install, you should get new o ring kits for the whole bank, replace the copper compression gaskets and torque the hold downs properly. And if yougot some extra time, cleaning the spool valves isnt neccessarily a bad idea ;) make sure your injector hold down bolt holes are completely cleaned out before re-installing so you dont end up with another bad oring.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
It never dropped below 48 volts during KOENR, while cranking, and KOEO.
Just for clarity, KOEO is, "key on engine off". KOER is, "key on engine running".

O-rings usually go from a mis-torqued injector and the copper crush washer not sealing. Compression blow by destroys the o-ring(s), by heat and pressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts