Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am a new owner of a 2005 Ford 6.0 4x4 with 80K miles on it. It has been studded and has an egr delete. I am not sure if the oil cooler has been replaced, but am assuming it was while the other mods were completed. I have been seeing deltas of 10-14 degrees in stop and go traffic in 90 degree weather.

My main question has to do with cold starts first thing in the morning (Florida morning temp of 75 degrees). The motor turns over and starts with no problem and sounds pretty good. But as soon I put it in gear and give it a little fuel, it sounds like it misses a little. Then as I am accelerating, it doesn't shift until the rpms go close to 3k or so, and then it is a real hard shift. It will do this through the first two or three gears (automatic trans). No black or white smoke from the exhaust - ever. Once the engine warms up, all this clears up, only takes a couple of minutes. It will be good for most of the day, unless it sits for another 10 or 12 hours. I have searched the threads and have narrowed it down to ficm or sticky injectors (not sure though). I am not throwing any codes except for bad glow plugs on 1 and 3. My ficm V is steady at 48-48.5 with an occasional dip to 47.5 (but very rare).

What do you guys think it is? It shouldn't be the glow plugs with outside temps so warm, or could they be the cause? My ficm voltage was read from the obd with the torque scan app. If I tested the ficm with a Volt meeter from the pins and neg. battery, would I potentially see different voltages? I also just switched from dyno oil to Shell rotella t6. That seemed to help a tiny bit. Would revx help? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Your FICM voltage should be the same if you test the pins vs. OBD port.

I would bet on stiction also. You can try Rev-x if that doesn't do much try Archoil 9100. I have used both of them and I will forever use the Archoil. Rev-x helped with my stiction but that was before I found out about Archoil 9100. If that still doesn't help I would highly recommend Warren Diesel for injectors.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Also you said you went to synthetic oil. 5w-40? That weight oil will help a lot also.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Try the Rev X

Archoil 9100 doesnt work nearly as well

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the was 5-40 weight.

If I use the revx, is it something I have to use forever or I can I stop after symptoms clear up?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Me personally I would use Rev-X for 1 or 2 oil changes because it will actually clean the spool valves and the rest of the motor, then I would run the Archoil. The Archoil is a friction modifier not so much a cleaner, once you get it clean then you need to keep it lubed up.

When I put the Archoil in my engine had already had Rev-X in 2 oil changes so it was clean. After changing oil and putting Archoil 9100 in I started the truck and let it idle, didn't really notice a difference in the way it ran. Killed the truck and checked oil level then started it back up and the engine was much much quieter and smoother than before.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered Archoil 9100. It will be a few days before I have it. Will post update.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
archoil fixed my issues...amazing stuff...next thing i have to tackle is my oil cooler.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Good to hear.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts