Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster.

I know that this topic gets beat up and yes I have gone through teh last 10 pages of posts reading but here it goes.

2006 Lariat. I just finished my extended waranty so now is the time to pay attention. I had it in at a local shop for a checkover before mileage ran out. Obvious for my year is EGR on its way out and FICM low voltage.
My plan is to have the full pull done at our local shop including studs but need to gather that cash. Currently I have cat back exhaust and cold air intake. No tuner or monitor
Winter is coming up here in Canada and so I need to get my FICM taken care of ASAP. I plan on getting an Edge soon to monitor until I can get the $6000 for the BP.
I do not tow during winter but tow a LOADED 26' Travel trailer alot may-oct. Much of which is British Columbia Mountains.

So I was all ready to order up a 58v from BPD and figured I should check the forums first. However things have changed since the last I looked on these forums with regards to FCIM tuning.

So FICM upgrade + Atlas40 Tune from FICMrepairs.com = $475
or BPD 58v Upgrade = $695 - ($150 to sell OEM core) = $545

Opinions or suggestions please.

Regards, Mike

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Mike, you can't sell the oem core because the BPD is only the power side of the FICM. You have to use the logic side from your oem unit.

Consider that the oem FICM from FICMrepairs is istill the oem design without any fault tolerance and the BPD is a totally redesigned power section with built in failover redundancy. For what you are doing I wouldn't consider anything but the BPD just for the piece of mind if it were me. The BPD unit is far superior to the oem even if it has been upgraded/repaired.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Yeah, part of me kinda wishes I spent the extra couple hundred bucks on the BPD ficm, just for piece of mind. I went with Vivians 58v upgrade. Lifetime warranty on powersupply side, i also ordered the php ficm tuner sort of as an experiment...expensive experiment. But I wanted to see what gains a tuned 58v ficm would make over 48v ficm, or if the gains would be washed out. Plus it gives me more options for towing vs the track, or let's say the dyno.

Fwiw, if you send Vivian your ficm, she doesnt have to reflash the vin to it or something, knocks 40 bucks off the price to put it at 360. The php ficm tuner is 400.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Ed does excellent repair work no question about it.

But nothing out there right now beats the BPD unit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kind of figured as I was typing it that the core value was wrong. Never the less I ordered the 6 stage + my two free BPD t-shirts. Shipped out 2 hours later.

Now to find and order a programmer to get ready for my studs
SCT my best option?

·
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!
6,471 Posts
I kind of figured as I was typing it that the core value was wrong. Never the less I ordered the 6 stage + my two free BPD t-shirts. Shipped out 2 hours later.
Enjoy it! :thumb:

And welcome to the BPD FICM Club!

Now to find and order a programmer to get ready for my studs
SCT my best option?

SCT is the best option with a custom tune from Matt @ Gearhead Automotive.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Mike, you can't sell the oem core because the BPD is only the power side of the FICM. You have to use the logic side from your oem unit.

Consider that the oem FICM from FICMrepairs is istill the oem design without any fault tolerance and the BPD is a totally redesigned power section with built in failover redundancy. For what you are doing I wouldn't consider anything but the BPD just for the piece of mind if it were me. The BPD unit is far superior to the oem even if it has been upgraded/repaired.
So are there any difference between bpd 6 phase(?)58v vs swamps 58V?

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
The bpd unit is a completely reengineered power supply. The swamps unit

e Th
is just a facty unit thats been upgraded

·
6,471 Posts
So are there any difference between bpd 6 phase(?)58v vs swamps 58V?
The bpd unit is a completely reengineered power supply. The swamps unit is just a facty unit thats been upgraded

Yep, Dave is correct.

It's a new, redesigned power supply for the FICM.

You still use the logic side of the FICM, but that is not the side that has issues; It's the power supply side.

BPD has eliminated that side of the FICM and replaced it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
So getting the BPD FICM is just bolt on and plug in?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
After I installed the BPD FICM in my truck I sold the left over oem power supply 1/2 of the old FICM to Ed at ficmrepair
(I also checked with Swamps and they said they would give me $100 for a unmolested 1/2 core)

·
6,471 Posts
So getting the BPD FICM is just bolt on and plug in?
Pretty much, you have to remove the logic side of your FICM and bolt it onto the Bullet Proof Diesel's FICM. Then just plug it into your rig and bolt it down. Good to go!

·
Registered
640 Posts
And they have instructions for that or is that pretty self explanatory?

·
6,471 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yes, and it is a super basic swap.
Sweet. I mean, I figured out how to do a turbo swap and egr by youtube and a little reading up on here, so it shouldn't be too bad.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Pretty self explanatory. Just remove the FICM from the truck then remove the topside cover and the 4 screws inside there. Then flip it over and unscrew all the other screws and split the case in half. Take the bottom half and mate it with the new BPD top shell and reassemble the opposite of disassembly.

OP yes welcome to the BPD FICM club!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it is. Looks like I bought in time thy are out of stock now.
Received it last week very promptly from BPD. + my 2 free t shirts. Well packaged and ......yes.....frikin Bulletproof

My insight cs arrived today so I wanted to do a read before I change it out. Re and re will be Thursday or Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I threw my new cs insight in before changing out my new monster ficm. Damn I was pulling down to 35 volts on startup. Ouch. Re and re less than 40 minutes
Meter tested key on at 59.5 volts

Of course CS tells me 50v across the board

Now. The question I have is why am I throwing the a p0611 ficm performance code.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
So I threw my new cs insight in before changing out my new monster ficm. Damn I was pulling down to 35 volts on startup. Ouch. Re and re less than 40 minutes
Meter tested key on at 59.5 volts

Of course CS tells me 50v across the board

Now. The question I have is why am I throwing the a p0611 ficm performance code.
It will be a soft code for FICM performance. That is typical and will do it with any of the 58V FICM's. Nothing to worry about.

The PCM parameters were never set to see higher that 50V I think(dont know for sure).

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Correct if the PCM sees lower than 45v or higher than 50v it will set a P0611

1 - 20 of 22 Posts