Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its official, my transmission is done. Today it would not go faster than 40mph:hehe: What transmission company do you guys recommend and why? I know a lot of people say BTS or John Woods, but what are the differences in price and such? I also run a DP and, from what I've read, John Wood's valve bodys do wonders with DP. I was also thinking about doing the t/c as well since I'm in there. What companys do you suggest for those? Do BTS and John Woods do t/cs as well? I'm planning on doing all the labor myself with a new huge cooler and possibly a deep pan. I really don't see how it can be that difficult to swap a transmission out. Biggest issue, that I see, is getting it in the air in one piece.

Thanks for the information!

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
The TC and tranny have to be replaced together, shrapnel from one will get into the other and ruin it. I think BTS is near $4,000 and Woods is close to that. When mine went I opted for the Ford factory reman just because of the warranty and price, $2035 with 3 year 75,000 mile warranty, heck the first one made it 198,000. Swapping it out wasn’t bad. I used ratchet straps ran over the frame, under the tranny, and over the other frame to help stabilize it and did it by myself in a day. It was a tight decision for me between the BTS and the Ford. I do now plan to get a BTS valve body to go in it for $250. Probably should have just bite the bullet and got the BTS but the warranty thing bothered me. So far its got 20k on it and all is well, it even barks the tires when it hits second gear.

What kinda tranny temps you been seeing??
Mine got to over 320* and stayed there for about 50 miles before it stopped pulling.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
The same build is the same price from BTS or JW, right at $4000+/- some change. It all depends on who is closer to keep shipping cost down. I my case it was who would talk to me and put certain parts in it that I wanted.

John Wood has his converters made for him to his specs by TCS Performance.
BTS uses the PI(Precision Industries) stallion converter.

Warranty info:
John Wood has a 3 year/50K warranty
BTS has a 2 year/unlimited mileage warranty

BTW, I love my JW transmission.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats the thing, the temps are not that high. Today it was sitting at maybe 160 and no shifting above 40. It also got up to that 160 within 8 miles though... I think I'll go with JW, I just wish I lived closer to Cali so I could actually go there and watch him do it. I really enjoy taking things apart just to see how it actually works.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Is it just slipping real bad or is it not upshifting?
Could it be just a solenoid problem or an electrical problem?
160 in eight miles seems pretty high, Mine hasn't gotten above 120 in about 6 months.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It isn't upshifting, when I first got my DP it was doing this between first and second but it somehow fixed itself. Now its between second and third and won't go above 40 after the transmission warms up. So I don't know, how do you check to find out?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure those are the prices for John's transmissions? I did a little reading and off his sight it reads:
A stage 1 transmission will cost $3900.00 plus shipping and handling.

Our second transmission, stage 2, will run about 600-700 HP. This transmission has everything that the stage 1 transmission had but we add an intermediate shaft. A stage 2 transmission will cost $4400.00 plus shipping and handling.

Our third transmission, stage 3, will run about 1000 HP, again this transmission has everything the stage 1 and 2 transmissions have, but we add an output shaft. This transmission will cost about $5500.00 plus shipping and handling.
In the long run I think John is going to be cheaper for me, I live in Salt Lake and California is a whole lot closer than Arkansas. But it would be sweet to live somewhat close to either one so I could just drive there, at 40mph:hehe:, to watch them do it.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
The website shows stage 1-3 but he also has a tow master like Cary stated. John uses the a few different parts than his other stages and does not have the same torque converter that stages 1-3 has.

I am not sure where Cary got the prices, maybe he called John to verify to give accurate info. However they seem a little higher than when I talked to John last. I did not pay for installation when I had my trans built by John.

My sponsor wants to start carrying his stage 2 trans on their shelf for customers that have an immediate need for a trans.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the difference with the tow master? After everything is said and done with my truck I'm hoping to see somewhere close, if not more, to 500hp.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
You will want the stage 2 for 500hp.

A quote from John,
"My new tow master trans uses a new 6.4 converter. This converter is great
for the guy running 400 hp and less. The 6.4 and 6.0 have the same stall. But
the 6.4 now has harden splines and new design tripledisc clutch."

It is to compete with a ford factory reman.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That answers that question, thank you Strokin! Also while I'm at it, is there anything that would be worth my time to replace? I was thinking about getting 2 new transmission coolers, 1 to replace the OEM and the other with with a fan.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
John will recommend the 6.0 trans cooler or the 40K true cool in place of the factory 6" POS. An electric fan is nice but not necessary with a good efficient cooler. That is about it unless you want to play with the up pipes since the trans it out of the way.....

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where would I find both of those coolers for a good price? I already have a spare fan cooler sitting on my shelf. As for the up pipes what is the benefit of replacing those?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
the stock up pipes are prone to leaking, if you want to change them this would be the time to get some bellowed pipes because they will be easy to get at to change. Im sure john has the 6.0 coolers in stock as well

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like I will be ordering a set of those as well.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Or if you don't have the cash to do the bellowed up pipes, you can always put in new donuts since you are there. The donuts are $6 a pair.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do the aftermarket ones allow better air flow? If so I don't see why not.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts