Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Still figuring what the best next step to lower EGTs: fuel injectors or turbo. Maybe what I’m seeing is normal. I think with the cat and muffler, nothing is guaranteed to lower EGT, except water or meth injection, so all I can do is put the money down and hope for the best.
Once I straight piped the truck (especially removing the CAT) my egt's climbed significantly slower. Adding the stage II helped quite a bit once it spooled up and maintained higher rpms.

·
california deplorable
10,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I have a hard time really answering this question without listing everything but first and formost the engine Jared/KDD built. It has been a solid beast and I love it! As simple as these are, I love my RiffRaff boots and clamps because it sucks pulling a grade with 10k plus behind you and hear the sound of a boot blowing off. I was having that issue way too often before the RiffRaff boots and clamps. They have been solid and held the KC stage 2 well. I could go on and on but I don't like typing that much and no one really wants to read that much either, IMO.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
my riff raffs have held up beautifully for 6 or 7 years now while i went through two sets of stockers blowing constantly before i got the riff raffs and they were making me nuts.
or perhaps in my case, more nuts, would be more accurate but...
point is i don't even think about them anymore just like my BPD air to oil...and face it. i own a 6.0, i need less worry in my life 🤣

Still figuring what the best next step to lower EGTs: fuel injectors or turbo. Maybe what I’m seeing is normal. I think with the cat and muffler, nothing is guaranteed to lower EGT, except water or meth injection, so all I can do is put the money down and hope for the best.
my guess would be a good turbo. my stage 2 can be a ta slow to spook with stock injectors but when it does the egts drop like a rock :nod:
plus one of charlies stage 2 or stage 1.5 would be way more fun than...about anything 🤣
next step would be an odawg intake all pretty and polished. Oliver does great work :nod:

Ok, ok...I'll put my BPD air-to-oil cooler at the top of my list of mods and give credit where credit is due. I had forgotten all about the thing...because that is what it does best -- makes you forget about it, which is a very good thing!
agreed which is why i listed mine as first favorite mod.
again i didn't mean to make this limited to a single mod necessarily, just got my truck apart and thinking about what else i might want to do while i am in there.
one of the next biggies i need to do is get with odawg and finally get me one if his intakes...works of art man and good for a 150 degree egt drop too since we have kinda been on that subject :p

·
Registered
355 Posts
I love my remote start, 2016 console (06 truck) and 08 mirrors.
The motor stuff is fun, but not necessarily my favorite.

·
Premium Member
11,606 Posts
My "favorite" mod, by far, was the SCT tuner and TSD tunes. Whole different truck after that. My "best" mod was the BPD oil cooler relocate with inline filtration. The KDD o-ringed heads, ARPs, S1 cam, Kenwood HU, '17 style mirrors, Method wheels, monitoring system with oil and fuel pressure and EGT were more necessities than mods for me.

·
california deplorable
10,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
mods ARE necessities as far as I am concerned 😇

·
Premium Member
2,121 Posts
SCT and tunes was my favorite mod for sure, followed closely by remote start, which was a dealer option when I bought the truck new. The best mod is probably the IPR coolant filter, which was also my first mod, when my oil cooler got plugged at 168,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
california deplorable
10,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
i can hit 1300 climbing the hill to my house coming out of town just hauling the typical stuff i carry for winching camping the carpet kit three sets of tools etc
but the stage 2 once it spools up takes it right down to 900 or below too.
i have to remember tow haul can be your friend when you run a stage2 and stock injectors. i had planned to go to 190 30 injectors and i think adrian built the turbo to fit that but after all the grief Jmo went through with his and fuel climbing up in price for a while there (and you KNOW its going back up) i decided to stick with stock injectors.. im not building a race truck and it gets to 100 far faster than it has any right already :p
the tuned ficm should help that out a bit as well and i need to modify my cat its one of those things i just haent gotten to yet. not having a welder tends to discourage some projects 🤣 and if i was worried about egts i would contact odawg and get a ported polished intake sooner rather than later :thumb:

Ok, ok...I'll put my BPD air-to-oil cooler at the top of my list of mods and give credit where credit is due. I had forgotten all about the thing...because that is what it does best -- makes you forget about it, which is a very good thing!
i think the BPD LETS you forget about it and like i say owning a 6.0 can be mre stressful than it should so one less thing to have to worry about is beautiful. mines been in for 8 years working perfectly cant ask for anything more!

and on the SCT tunes..hell yes! they really wake the truck up and make a 9,000# pig feel light on its feet and i love being at 60 and gong to pass someone and you are buried at 100 on the speedo before you are even back in your lane...
then of course the supporting mods for the tunes are required so somethings are simply a cascade effect and all serve to make driving this beast that much more enjoyable :D
face it these things are an absolute blast to drive

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
i can hit 1300 climbing the hill to my house coming out of town just hauling the typical stuff i carry for winching camping the carpet kit three sets of tools etc
but the stage 2 once it spools up takes it right down to 900 or below too.
i have to remember tow haul can be your friend when you run a stage2 and stock injectors. i had planned to go to 190 30 injectors and i think adrian built the turbo to fit that but after all the grief Jmo went through with his and fuel climbing up in price for a while there (and you KNOW its going back up) i decided to stick with stock injectors.. im not building a race truck and it gets to 100 far faster than it has any right already :p
the tuned ficm should help that out a bit as well and i need to modify my cat its one of those things i just haent gotten to yet. not having a welder tends to discourage some projects 🤣 and if i was worried about egts i would contact odawg and get a ported polished intake sooner rather than later :thumb:

i think the BPD LETS you forget about it and like i say owning a 6.0 can be mre stressful than it should so one less thing to have to worry about is beautiful. mines been in for 8 years working perfectly cant ask for anything more!

and on the SCT tunes..hell yes! they really wake the truck up and make a 9,000# pig feel light on its feet and i love being at 60 and gong to pass someone and you are buried at 100 on the speedo before you are even back in your lane...
then of course the supporting mods for the tunes are required so somethings are simply a cascade effect and all serve to make driving this beast that much more enjoyable :D
face it these things are an absolute blast to drive

Yeah, it's just not the same truck with the SCT and other mods. I have a Raptor for daily and the dually for towing, but that's not the way it worked out. After upgrading the dually 2 years ago, I don't drive the Raptor anymore -- and I mean never! I asked my wife to drive it to her work a couple times per week so that takes care of that. I've been driving duallys for over 30 years so the size isn't a factor for me and now with all this performance, I just enjoy the hell outta the thing! My wife thinks it's bordering on unhealthy...lol...but she never drove a 6.9L or she would understand my fascination with this truck.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Whether or not it was a necessity, all my repairs / upgrades have been great. Recently I’m really enjoying the Blackwood steering wheel upgrade. But the Odawgs intake is probably my favorite for multiple reasons

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sct X 4 is where it all started for my truck, so to me it has been the best and most important thing for it and changing it. If I had to start all over it would still be my first buy, second would be my UCF ported/polished heads with everything that goes with them. I enjoy the wife's 19 with Ez link, but love my 03.

·
california deplorable
10,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah, it's just not the same truck with the SCT and other mods. I have a Raptor for daily and the dually for towing, but that's not the way it worked out. After upgrading the dually 2 years ago, I don't drive the Raptor anymore -- and I mean never! I asked my wife to drive it to her work a couple times per week so that takes care of that. I've been driving duallys for over 30 years so the size isn't a factor for me and now with all this performance, I just enjoy the hell outta the thing! My wife thinks it's bordering on unhealthy...lol...but she never drove a 6.9L or she would understand my fascination with this truck.
LMGDAO
my wife thinks my fascination with my truck is unhealthy also but at the same time she gets it.when i first got my stage 2 we were down in reno doing some shopping an visiting my daughter who lives there now and i had just crossed the 200 mile mark on the tune with the new stage 2 in place and we were pulling out of the book store there is guy in a dodge in the fast lane doing about 65 in a 35.
so i figure watch him but i should be ok pulling into the slow lane. so i pull out.
once i am in the lane i look in my mirror and sure as hell the guy is looking over his shoulder and changing into what is now my lane a 1/4 mile back and closing fast.
so i am already at about 15 mph and i roll into it.
i get SLAMMED back in my seat the turbo starts screaming the kid starts screaming and the wife starts screaming! and i let out. now at 75 mph and look in the rear view in time to see dodge boy exiting a cloud of tire and diesel smoke with eyes the size of saucers about a half mile back 🤣
the kid is asking wtf that was for and the wife just says...
"so THAT'S why you needed that new turbo huh?"
to which the only proper respnse was ..."yep" with a big grin :)

Sct X 4 is where it all started for my truck, so to me it has been the best and most important thing for it and changing it. If I had to start all over it would still be my first buy, second would be my UCF ported/polished heads with everything that goes with them. I enjoy the wife's 19 with Ez link, but love my 03.
for me the x3 was where the fun began...but before that it was just taking an abused used up beaten 04 and giving it new life.
today i LOVE my truck on a level that probably is somewhat unhealthy but :p

·
california deplorable
10,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
i have not even got it all buttoned up and have plenty of more stuff to do both inside and out ...
BUT...
thus far i am liking the lifetime water pump too...its pretty under there where ya cant see it

·
california deplorable
10,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
well today my favorite mods are the ones i am doing now 🤣

21 - 33 of 33 Posts