Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so as some of you know I have been smelling a burning antifreeze smell lately when my truck is towing or under load... So the other day I brought it in to the dealer (after taking out my SCT for a few days) and they looked under my hood. My truck was over a gallon low on coolant, so he got me an apt. said that it was probably my head gaskets leaking (under warranty still). So I drop off the truck yesterday, and they call me a few hours later and say that it was just a "faulty radiator cap" that was causing the leak and hot smell... Does this sound like a big load of BS? Or is it really possible that it could be that simple?? Also while the truck was in the shop, I asked them to replace my factory 1 3/4" blocks in the rear with some factory 4" blocks. With my 8" fabtech lift and no air in the bags the rear sat about 2" lower than the front. $385, not bad I didn't think.. Anyways let me know what you all think of this???

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Does the truck puke at all?

·
Registered
37 Posts
My dad has a 6.0L PSD and when he is towing in the hills he was blowing out coolant through the cap. He took it to the dealership and they told him that the engine was overreving and causing too much pressure in the cooling system. That in turn was causing the coolant to be forced out of the pressure cap. I told my dad that it souded like a load of crap to me. Your scenario souds a lot more plausible to me.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
truck drives great... I don't notice any difference in power or anything when I smell it...it is just annoying...i was just worried that maybe my head gaskets are leaking and they just dont want to deal with fixing it...???

·
Registered
23 Posts
My dad has a 6.0L PSD and when he is towing in the hills he was blowing out coolant through the cap. He took it to the dealership and they told him that the engine was overreving and causing too much pressure in the cooling system. That in turn was causing the coolant to be forced out of the pressure cap. I told my dad that it souded like a load of crap to me. Your scenario souds a lot more plausible to me.
First of all, its nearly impossible to overrev a diesel unless you have a standard trans and are going downhill!!!!!!!! All diesels have governors that do not let them overrev (basically the same thing as a rev limiter on a gas engine) It sounds to me like you had a head gasket failure and it was pressurizing the coolant system, ultimately pushing the coolant out of the radiator cap.. A leakdown test should have been performed. Just my 2 cents.

PS: It makes me crazy sometimes when I hear the BS that comes out of these service managers. I often wonder if they got thier job because of thier knowledge of vehicle repairs or if they were the best BSer to apply!!!! :crazy:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have the same problem< but mine only does that when it is under heavy load or has a programer on it... but if i drive it normal it wont do it...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ok, so as some of you know I have been smelling a burning antifreeze smell lately when my truck is towing or under load... So the other day I brought it in to the dealer (after taking out my SCT for a few days) and they looked under my hood. My truck was over a gallon low on coolant, so he got me an apt. said that it was probably my head gaskets leaking (under warranty still). So I drop off the truck yesterday, and they call me a few hours later and say that it was just a "faulty radiator cap" that was causing the leak and hot smell... Does this sound like a big load of BS? Or is it really possible that it could be that simple?? Also while the truck was in the shop, I asked them to replace my factory 1 3/4" blocks in the rear with some factory 4" blocks. With my 8" fabtech lift and no air in the bags the rear sat about 2" lower than the front. $385, not bad I didn't think.. Anyways let me know what you all think of this???
I'm getting this same thing (coolant smell under load) but when I look under the hood, there is no sign of puking and nothing dripping on the ground, and no white smoke as far as I can tell. Is it possible that it is just the cap venting normally? BTW coolant level is good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts