Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased a 97 f350 Powerstroke and i'm looking for some cheap and easy upgrades to do before i start adding in the big money.

i will be driving it everyday but also some drag racing, pulling a large trailer, and weight transfer sled. just wanting more power, decent mpg's, some attitude, and maybe some black smoke?

the truck has 175k miles, a ts 6 way tuner, k&n cold air intake, 4 inch straight pipe w/ 3.5" downpipe (might do 6" stacks?), and a southbend clutch.

any tricks and ideas greatly appreciate!! :icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Ditch the k&n for a 6637 filter. Get the TS custom tuned by php, beans, etc. Without doing fuel, air, and oil that's about it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Oh, you could also do an electric fuel conversion and a regulated return.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
You could also NOT make smoke like an idiot.
Smoke = you're dumping fuel, washing down cylinders with fuel and soot, wasting fuel, burning things up with high EGTs, you're lacking air, and showing how ignorant you are :thumb:

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
You could also NOT make smoke like an idiot.
Smoke = you're dumping fuel, washing down cylinders with fuel and soot, wasting fuel, burning things up with high EGTs, you're lacking air, and showing how ignorant you are :thumb:
It's his first post, maybe just say that making smoke in today's world of regulations isn't cool and very much frowned upon.

Could also go with a modded Idm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, your input is appreciated! Smoke isn't a big deal to me, I know what it is and what causes it. Just looking for some tricks I haven't heard yet! Thanks again!

·
Registered
460 Posts
the biggest difference in the 97 and older trucks is the lack of large injectors, and the lack of an aftercooler......so... put some stage I's in it, and an aftercooler, get the chip re-burned and you'll have a little more than a stock 2000 with just a chip.... gets the 97's and older into the 20th century ....

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
get the chip re-burned and you'll have a little more than a stock 2000 with just a chip.... gets the 97's and older into the 20th century ....
Thats not entirely true. Most chipped super dutys put down 320whp. A chipped/stage 1 obs can put down from 360-400whp with beans live tuning. Keep in mind, our trucks are lighter than super dutys, so less hp/tq is needed to be as powerful or fast as them.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Originally Posted by OL' OutLaw<br />
get the chip re-burned and you'll have a little more than a stock 2000 with just a chip.... gets the 97's and older into the 20th century ....
<br />
<br />
Thats not <i>entirely</i> true. Most chipped super dutys put down 320whp. A chipped/stage 1 obs can put down from 360-400whp with beans live tuning. Keep in mind, our trucks are lighter than super dutys, so less hp/tq is needed to be as powerful or fast as them.
But that doesn't mean it puts down more power. The sd still has more fuel flow and the 17* hpop. The OBS may be faster in a straight line though

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
But that doesn't mean it puts down more power. The sd still has more fuel flow and the 17* hpop. The OBS may be faster in a straight line though

Wait.. a chipped sd will put down 320whp, and an obs w/ stage 1's will put down 360-400whp.. but its not actually putting down more power? I'm lost. OBS doesn't need a 17* hpop because we have single shots stock.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Why would an OBS with intercooler and 1s put down more than a sd with 1s. Both with chip, intake, exhaust?

Edit: just noticed the sd is stock injectors. However, the OBS won't put down 380 with 1s

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Why would an OBS with intercooler and 1s put down more than a sd with 1s. Both with chip, intake, exhaust?

Edit: just noticed the sd is stock injectors. However, the OBS won't put down 380 with 1s

A super duty w/ 1s will put down slightly more HP than an OBS with 1's. beans has tuned many stage 1 OBS trucks to 380-ish whp though. beans can live-tune to 460whp w/ stage IIs on an OBS.

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
Wait.. a chipped sd will put down 320whp, and an obs w/ stage 1's will put down 360-400whp.. but its not actually putting down more power? I'm lost. OBS doesn't need a 17* hpop because we have single shots stock.
ummmm... stock 15* pumps have a hard time keeping up with just stock injectors, put a 17* in and you can keep max performance thru you rentire throttle range
A super duty w/ 1s will put down slightly more HP than an OBS with 1's. beans has tuned many stage 1 OBS trucks to 380-ish whp though. beans can live-tune to 460whp w/ stage IIs on an OBS.
a stage 2 (160cc/100% or 170cc) is good for around 400+/-.... to reach the upper 400s close to 500 you will need something around 200cc/100% or 238cc/100%. if you have physical proof that someone had had 460hp on stage 2s, he has something else done, meaning not a stock motor in regrds to head work, cam, porting...... im not sating it cant be done, just not by slapping injectors and supporting mods in

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
ummmm... stock 15* pumps have a hard time keeping up with just stock injectors, put a 17* in and you can keep max performance thru you rentire throttle range

a stage 2 (160cc/100% or 170cc) is good for around 400+/-.... to reach the upper 400s close to 500 you will need something around 200cc/100% or 238cc/100%. if you have physical proof that someone had had 460hp on stage 2s, he has something else done, meaning not a stock motor in regrds to head work, cam, porting...... im not sating it cant be done, just not by slapping injectors and supporting mods in
Stock 15's work just fine with stock single shots and even stage 1's in the OBS trucks. Of course, the more oil the better... always.

I've seen many many dynos from Beans and other board members of stage 2's and beans live tuning on an OBS producing 440-460whp. In fact, beans guarantees with stage IIs and his living tuning he'll make 440-460whp assuming your hpop is up to the task.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
It's may "work fine" with the 15*, doesn't mean you're gonna get anywhere near the full potential of 1s from it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts