Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running a fass or airdog system? Is there a write-up anywhere or a complete kit that can be bought?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I don't know about a complete kit. I honestly wouldn't run either of them. I have close friends who have had both of them and had nothing but problems. Also, airdogs costomer service sucks. I am going to go with dual stock superduty pumps. Or maybe a couple walbros...

·
Registered
189 Posts
If your wanting e fuel, its really not bad to piece it together yourself. The peace of mind itself was worth it for me. Also with those kits the pumps aren't available at a parts store so if it goes bad, you have to wait on one in the mail.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to make 65 PSI @ ? GPH? Right? If I do it I dont want one hose clamp in the whole system. I have had really ****ty experiences with hose clamps and fuel under pressure...

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
fass and airdogs cant be used with 7.3's... they dont supply enough fuel pressure. Why the need for the fuel upgrade, btw?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just bouncing some ideas around in my head. Thinking some stage II hybrids down the road and I'm gonna need more than the mechanical pump can handle correct?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Define "stage II hybrid"..... because stage II's are typically fine w/ stock fuel and a shim.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am thinking anywhere between a budget stage II and a 2.5. My goal is 800+ ftlbs, not very concerned with HP (although it will obvioulsy follow torque probably somewhere in the 350-380 range).

Rosewood Diesel Shop

What's this shim all about? I have heard it mentioned several other times and never followed up with it.

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
fass and airdogs cant be used with 7.3's... they dont supply enough fuel pressure. Why the need for the fuel upgrade, btw?
yes they can.. they make a kit for SD trucks that can be used on an OBS
Define "stage II hybrid"..... because stage II's are typically fine w/ stock fuel and a shim.
Bull s h i t.... will they "work" yes... are you damaging your injectors every time you step on the skinny peddle, YES, fuel pressure can NEVER drop below 50 psi to keep optimum injector life. filtered properly of course.... even if you shim the spring, if you dont have volume, whats the point???
Is anyone running a fass or airdog system? Is there a write-up anywhere or a complete kit that can be bought?
here is a link to a few guys install of e-fuel with material lists. price is usually between 500 to 700 depending on how deep you go. once you decide what way we can link you to a good write up install if just one set up. but u need to decide how much you wana spend and what you wat to replace while doing it. and what kind of pump u wana run, stock SD (single or dual), walbro (not rated for diesel but lots of guys run them and only $100), bosch (needs 1/2 suction lines), aeromotive, or fuel lab.... all $$$ pending.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/7-3-mod-help/218702-electric-fuel-obs-trucks.html

·
Registered
189 Posts
^ exactly. Injectors are too expensive to save a few hundred by running stock pump and filtration. Both leave a lot to be desired. Do you have a part number for the walbro? As long as you use hose rated for diesel AND fuel injection, and use fuel injection style clamps, you won't have a problem. If you still don't feel comfortable with that, you can run push-loc style hose or AN style hose, just make sure its rated for diesel, or it will not last. I used trident marine fuel injection hose.

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
Walbro gls392.... like i said, not rated for diesel but lost of guys use them with plenty of sucess and longevity. This is about as cheep as i could kind. If it means anything to u i will prolly use the bosch pump when i do mine. Its like 175 bucks and flows a tad under an A1000 which is $325
Walbro GSL392 -400-939 With Install Kit Fuel Pumps

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well, my junkyard SD pump is working fine for now, but I may switch to the walbro, and keep the SD as a spare. I made sure to use quick connects when I did mine for replacement purposes.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
I am thinking anywhere between a budget stage II and a 2.5. My goal is 800+ ftlbs, not very concerned with HP (although it will obvioulsy follow torque probably somewhere in the 350-380 range).

Rosewood Diesel Shop

What's this shim all about? I have heard it mentioned several other times and never followed up with it.
800ft-lbs would be roughly 400-420hp... stats def stage 2 or hybrid territory. Theres a ton of threads out there on shimming and I even provided a link about it.

yes they can.. they make a kit for SD trucks that can be used on an OBS

Bull s h i t.... will they "work" yes... are you damaging your injectors every time you step on the skinny peddle, YES, fuel pressure can NEVER drop below 50 psi to keep optimum injector life. filtered properly of course.... even if you shim the spring, if you dont have volume, whats the point???
Its not "bull****". The only fass/airdog thats worthwhile is the airdog 150, and even then it's not what our 7.3's like. There are far better options out there for us.

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
So your advising someone that a mechanical pump will hold stageII injectors without a problem?? Weather u would do it or not, u shouldn't advise someone information that will damage his injectors

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
It can be done. NUMEROUS people on this website and others running stage II's w/ stock fuel. It will be suffice. So I guess it depends on if you want your rig to be setup as "sufficient" or "perfectly".

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
I will agree prople are running that set up. .. when spending 1500 on a set of injectors, do u just wana suffice??? I know i dont.

·
Registered
189 Posts
800ft-lbs would be roughly 400-420hp... stats def stage 2 or hybrid territory. Theres a ton of threads out there on shimming and I even provided a link about it.

Its not "bull****". The only fass/airdog thats worthwhile is the airdog 150, and even then it's not what our 7.3's like. There are far better options out there for us.
I may be nuts but I didn't see a link.

Although I would not run those systems for the reasons I mentioned before, if they aren't what our 7.3's like, a fluctuating stock pump for stage 2's sure as HELL isn't either. The fpr shim is best used to shim a worn stock spring, not to increase capacity. I'm not saying there isn't a guy or several guys out there that run a very healthy mechanical pump and 2's. Barely sufficient, yes. You even said yourself it was " typically sufficient", which means it usually works, wtherefore sometimes it doesn't, cracking a nozzle, IF your lucky, that's the furthest it will go. And this is all assuming good quality fuel, couple low fuel pressure and even a small amount of bad fuel, water etc. And something will give. Let's not get started on filtration. For every person running a stock pump there are 2 who wouldn't think of it. If he had asked if he could get by on a stock pump telling him it was ok, that's one thing. The guy is wanting to upgrade fuel to cover his a**, and rightfully so, so help him decide on the best upgrade for him, not what will probably work.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Guess I'm going crazy... I THOUGHT I posted a thread on shimming the FPR. Guess it didn't actually post or I'm just losing it.

Regardless, yes if the stock pump is dying then shimming it will bring the FP up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so 800+ ftlbs is definitley stage 2/hybrid territory? So I am definitely convinced that the mechanical pump wont hold up. I'll be looking in to e-fuel then eventually. Will I still be able to tow heavy (decent sized camper/car trailer/boat) with stage 2's? Im not all about burrying the pyro gauge lol

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Of course you can, tow tunes will pull fueling. 800ft-lbs is probably stg II yes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts