Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a few pictures of some Farmboy Fabrication traction bars. Truck drives and shifts like a complete dream now. It felt like it was going to rip the rearend out from under the truck before. Here's a few pics... :thumb:

whole truck

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
Sweet!!! Truck looks great

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Those look like they came out pretty good!

·
Registered
188 Posts
i want some they look great

·
Registered
35 Posts
Traction Bar "Arc"

Floridayfz450, those FM traction bars look sweet!

I would like your opinion. I am new to traction bars and was wondering about something I read in a Fabtech article where they said Powerstroke axles move in an arc and not straight up and down. Fabtech indicated this movement requires an articulated connection to the frame (which coincidentally they sell for $$$).

See this post for pictures of the Fabtech TB's: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94-98-7-3l-performance-parts/104617-traction-bars-2.html#post1353360

So based on what you experienced in your improved performance, is the "arc" truely an issue or just hype? Have you had any problems? :confused:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looks good! Maybe it was discussed in another thread but who makes those?

edit: Nevermind - "Farmboy" My bad.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I would like your opinion. I am new to traction bars and was wondering about something I read in a Fabtech article where they said Powerstroke axles move in an arc and not straight up and down. Fabtech indicated this movement requires an articulated connection to the frame (which coincidentally they sell for $$$).

See this post for pictures of the Fabtech TB's: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/94-98-7-3l-performance-parts/104617-traction-bars-2.html#post1353360

So based on what you experienced in your improved performance, is the "arc" truely an issue or just hype? Have you had any problems? :confused:
The Farmboy fab traction bars have yet to have a single failure with anybody running them to my knowledge. I don't have an answer for the "arc" in the suspension travel, i'll let sometime else chime in on this.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts

Yes, the axle does move in somewhat of an arc. But, those Fabtech bars will still bind....and I know of quite a few sets that have broken.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Weld the tubes to the pumpkin before ya bust the drive shaft :)

·
Registered
2,129 Posts

fabtechs bars are for lifted trucks only, and when i bought them, they didnt fit if you had the overload spring on the rear(ultra thick leaf on bottom of pack)

·
Registered
287 Posts
All leaf sprung suspensions will move in an arc due to the movement of the shackle. Not sure on the fabtech bars but to get full use out of the suspension with traction bars you will need heims on all ends and a shackle for the traction bar to move on with the suspension.
My buddy Rob has a set of the farmboys and they are hefty pieces of machinery. Good looking bars and truck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
As mentioned above, every leaf suspension travels in an arc because the front of the spring is fixed at the frame and pivots while the rear has a shackle. The spring lengthens and shortens as it is cycled from compression to relaxation and as a result of the shackle at the back, the rear end of the spring moves up and down depending on how compressed or relaxed the spring is. Thus no leaf sprung truck axle will move vertically unless both ends of the spring are fixed and if that happens you have no suspension or very limited suspension travel.

The reason why the farmboy trac bars work without the funky setup used by others is because the bars are very long and likely match or come close to the actual arc that the axle follows when it is cycled through compression and relaxation....man I am starting to sound like a chiropractor or a yoga instructor...lol

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
He makes an awesome product and has made a very successful company for himself, I remember when he first started, glad to see he is still around.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts