Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been covered somewhere, but is there anything wrong with using it in the 7.3? I hear that the only difference is the dye in it. Does it have any more or less lubricity properties?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I am sure this has been covered somewhere, but is there anything wrong with using it in the 7.3? I hear that the only difference is the dye in it. Does it have any more or less lubricity properties?
There is nothing wrong, at this point most off road fuel is ULSD, so no difference. Places like rural Alaska are still rocking LSD, better lubricating fuel. The only word of caution is cops can dip your tank and fines usually are pretty hefty.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My truck is Farm Tagged, and I have a Ag card from the state of Oklahoma, so, there should be no worries about getting checked....It is about 40 cents cheaper here at $3.29 a gallon, so if there's nothing wrong with using it, that's where Im going to start filling up.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Might want to check how old it is... I know around here a lot of the farmers get home heating oil (which comes dyed red) in their tanks because they don't trust the ULSD.

My friend had his 275 gal heating oil tank topped off when his oilburner furnace **** the bed (similar situation happened to my parents) and he installed a natural gas one and hooked up to the municipal line. In both situations, my '97 ran juuuuuuust fine on it... when I pumped out the tanks I made sure as to run it through a filter to keep out any sludge nasties which tend to accumulate inside 275 tanks.

I'm sure some here on the forum will gripe and complain that you're burning non-taxed fuel, but when you donate as many free 40's and packs of smokes to the welfare recipients as I do every Apr15, you might not feel so bad about getting a few hundred tax-free miles every now and again.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uhh.. yeah. I pay my fair share of taxes! About 20,000 a year. So, Im good with it.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Might want to check how old it is... I know around here a lot of the farmers get home heating oil (which comes dyed red) in their tanks because they don't trust the ULSD.
Many states require home heating oil to ULSD compliant too nowadays and typically heating oil doesn't have any anti-gel in it so a good cold snap will cause issues.

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
yup just red dye.. and since you have the ag stuff go for it.. its ulsd like everything else.

·
Registered
242 Posts
yup just red dye.. and since you have the ag stuff go for it.. its ulsd like everything else.
I didn't realize this; been trying to find some info about what states have ULSD home heating oil requirements. I was still under the impression that HHO (no, not the gas) blends weren't subject to the ulsd requirements.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
My truck is Farm Tagged, and I have a Ag card from the state of Oklahoma, so, there should be no worries about getting checked....It is about 40 cents cheaper here at $3.29 a gallon, so if there's nothing wrong with using it, that's where Im going to start filling up.
Ag Card and Ag tags dont matter. You can still get nailed from running untaxed fuel on the roads in anything other than farm equipment.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Wouldn't ag tags make his truck street legal farm equipment? I could be wrong but that's the impression I got when he said that? I don't know anything about it so im just an inquiring mind wanting to know... its hard to find red fuel close to home here so we run regular diesel in our tractor because of the cost to go get the red fuel is more than just hitting the local shell station and getting fuel that way...

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I didn't realize this; been trying to find some info about what states have ULSD home heating oil requirements. I was still under the impression that HHO (no, not the gas) blends weren't subject to the ulsd requirements.
I know in most of New England and New York home heating oil must be ULSD compliant. I am unsure on the other states.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My brother once put farm diesel in his 98 obs, and it made it smoke like a freight train. And I think it really depends on the state code and if you can drive it on the road or not with farm diesel. But just knoow it is alot dirtier than regular diesel. I frequently see particles going into my tractor tank

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Wouldn't ag tags make his truck street legal farm equipment? I could be wrong but that's the impression I got when he said that? I don't know anything about it so im just an inquiring mind wanting to know... its hard to find red fuel close to home here so we run regular diesel in our tractor because of the cost to go get the red fuel is more than just hitting the local shell station and getting fuel that way...

No it would not.

The only way he could do it is remove his license plates and put slow moving vehicle signs on it. But then he wouldnt be legal to drive it on many major roadways.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
My brother once put farm diesel in his 98 obs, and it made it smoke like a freight train. And I think it really depends on the state code and if you can drive it on the road or not with farm diesel. But just knoow it is alot dirtier than regular diesel. I frequently see particles going into my tractor tank
There was no 98 OBS:) Ford had no 98 model year for F-250HD and F-350 cause they were so excited about the super duty. :rofl:

Sarcasm aside, with respect to nastiness in the bottom of a tank...a good cim-tek or baldwin filter will do wonders and will keep the tractor fuel filters from being over loaded with junk.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ya sorry it was somethin around there I remember he had it for like 6 months but I was pretty young to know exactly which year it was. My bad

·
Banned
3,782 Posts
Ag Card and Ag tags dont matter. You can still get nailed from running untaxed fuel on the roads in anything other than farm equipment.
Here you can run farm fuel within a certain radius of your farmland with farm plates. :dunno:

I don't know where the OP is so can't check his local laws.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Ya sorry it was somethin around there I remember he had it for like 6 months but I was pretty young to know exactly which year it was. My bad
Nah man. No need to be sorry...I am just being a smarta$$.

·
Registered
362 Posts
@Flatbedcowboy - The farm diesel is not dirtier. At least not here. They dump the same diesel into both tanks from the truck. The only difference is they pour red dye into the farm tank before filling it full of diesel. The north american diesel is just crap, period.

·
Registered
758 Posts
No it would not.

The only way he could do it is remove his license plates and put slow moving vehicle signs on it. But then he wouldnt be legal to drive it on many major roadways.
Thank you sir! : thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts