Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
LTJDS
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Input from knowledgeable readers/techs would be greatly appreciated.

My 6.0L PSD has 85K miles on the Odometer and I am still running OEM headbolts. Knock on wood "No Major Problems So Far".
I started losing Coolant at a considerable rate, My Friend and Master Mechanic thought right away Headbolt failure "FINALLY".
But not so Fast.
I have an Elite Diesel EGR "Sneaky Pipe" and the EGR is turned "OFF" Through my SCT LiveWire Programer.
I noticed the leak or loss of coolant based on the way my Coolant temps would become elevated due to loss of Coolant. At first I could not find the locatiion thay \ I Just replaced the Oil with Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5W40 Synthetic And the problem seems to have all but gone AWAY ??

When I did see some coolant leak from the motor onto the floor it looked as if it was coming from The bottom of the Radiator? I could not track it back to a part of the motor where the Heads attach to the Block. ?

No word on if the Oil Change was the a big help in partially fixin' the problem, I am hoping if I do see a remedy it was from putting FRESH oil in.
PS: No WATER was found in the OIL during the CHANGE.

·
lifetime member
1,642 Posts
:bump::bump::bump::bump:

·
LTJDS
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BUMP

:dunno::bump::bump::bump::bump::bump::bump::dunno:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I would obtain a pressure tester. pressurize the system and then look for leaks.

·
LTJDS
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THE ANSWER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Found Out ,, That I had a (Small - LEAK (Pin Hole) In the Main Radiator w/ 85.5K Miles on it which req replacement. At the same time the Water Pump was replaced because there was some un desireable Play in the mechanism.
Knock on Wood , So far it appears the above changes have fixed the problem. :icon_ford:
(I appreciate the Bump and input on pressurizing the system.:nod:)
It was apparent that with no coolant found in the oil at the oil change, and the fact that the leak was in line with the radiator, it most likely had to do with the radiator and assoc components,:thumb:

Thanks again for the Concern, Suggestions, and Bumps......Just wanted to follow through and let those who replied know what turned out to be the cause of my concern and Failure . TTHHAANNKKSS YALL

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Glad you got it fixed! Those coolant leaks can be a major source of frustration...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts