Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 1 ton is having a misfire on multiple cylinders it feels like when the oil is cold. Cold being less than 50 f. If I plug it in everything seems fine. The miss goes away after a minute or two but smokes a lot bluish white until then. I have been running 10w-40 in it since I got it 2 years ago and just changed the oil a few hundred miles ago. A guy at work, CAT dealership, said it could be a weak hpop since the truck is nearing 400k miles. Can anyone agree/ has a different opinion? Thanks.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
887 Posts
Probably worn injector poppet valves. That is common on high mileage injectors. Cold oil causes the armature plate to stick to the injector top. You can verify by removing a valve cover. Unplugging the injector. Remove the solenoid by removing the 4 torx screws and using a feeler gauge to check armature gap. Oem new they are around .004" anything closer than .002" and you start to see issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would hope it's not injectors. I just replaced all 8 with rebuilds from rifrafdiesel 15k miles ago. It's also snowing here now and the truck doesn't fit in the garage...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
An HPOP and injectors are expensive parts to guess at. Download the Forscan program on you laptop and get a USB to obd2 adapter and see what you ICP pressure and IPR duty cycle is.

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
The OBDLink MX adapter will do wifi and Bluetooth -- so no wires
Forscan lite will work on your phone -- tho I like the full version on a laptop better

Checked those glow plugs? -- if this only happens when first started there may be the problem

With high mileage, low compression could be the culprit as well -- much blow by coming out the valve cover vent line?
normal for a little -- gentle wafting -- no puffing or blow

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So its in the teens in the morning when I start the truck, its only going to get colder here in ND. I left it unplugged one night and boy it didnt want to start. The smoke isnt as noticeable after it has been plugged in. I plug it in at work too and I know it's not good for the heating element. So what do I need to test for and what should the results be?, I have AE. We dont really see HUEI systems at work, I've just seen pump and line and common rail with CAT equipment.

I have been running 10w-40 in it since I got it 2 years ago
I have been thinking about running 10w-30 in it since I get a good deal at work. Would that help my cause?

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
Have you checked the glow plug system?

and our old service truck had a cat motor with a huei system -- tho cat may call it something else

1 - 7 of 7 Posts