Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 F350 XLT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First timer...... at the end of my rope....

About 3 weeks ago my new to me 2006 F350 XLT stumbled at a green light, misfired and then quit. I was able to nurse it a couple miles home and hook it up to ForScan. To an amateur, the numbers looked OK for the oil pressure and FICM, but the misfire only got worse. Eventually the truck would not even start. I ran the buzz test and only 4 injectors clicked. No codes in the DTC.

Injectors 1,4,6,7 are not clicking. These injectors are also on the same connector on the FICM. I have Ohm tested all the coils at the connector and see no faults.

Line Font Gas Parallel Machine

I read this in the guide also:
On 2004.25+ (1845117C2 FICMs), the low side driver is actually shared among 4 injectors. This means an injector short to ground on the low side could produce four different cylinder error codes. On 2003.25 (1837127C4 FICMs) there are individual low side drivers for each injector. This means a low side failure would result in a single injector error code.
If there is a short in that connector, how would you find it?

Is the driver board "parallel", meaning one high or low driver for each connector?

Where does the 48v measurement come from? I ask because my voltage looked good running and cranking.

To me, the driver board looks very symmetrical and makes me wonder if one side fails it takes out all the injectors in that connector.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Microcontroller

Some Forscan shots:
At Idle:
Computer Personal computer Output device Gadget Font

Fast Idle:
Computer Personal computer Output device Gadget Font

And won't start:
Rectangle Font Gadget Technology Electronic device

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
If you had a short, you would have codes. Does seem strange that all 4 on that connector won't click. Makes me think you have something going on with your logic board. You can swap injector connectors from an injector that's not clicking and put it on one that is i.e. disconnect #4 and put it on #2 then retry the test. Just remember, you'll be listening for #4 in succession, but it will actually click on injector #2. This will tell you if just so happens that all those injectors have issues, or if it's a wiring/FICM thing.

-jokester

·
Registered
2006 F350 XLT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Makes me think you have something going on with your logic board. You can swap injector connectors from an injector that's not clicking and put it on one that is i.e. disconnect #4 and put it on #2 then retry the test. Just remember, you'll be listening for #4 in succession, but it will actually click on injector #2. This will tell you if just so happens that all those injectors have issues, or if it's a wiring/FICM thing.
I made up a pigtail and and connected it to the #2 side of the harness and was able to get the bad injectors to click. This did throw some injector low and high codes.

Is there a way to test the logic board or the driver board? I read the DIY write up, but didn't see any testing procedure, just re-solder here and there.

Is it worth taking a chance on a $120 driver board vs the $425+ FICM repair dot com route?

I bet a FICM rebuild would resolve the issue.
What gets replace in a rebuild?

Attachments

·
Compression Ignition Addict
8,774 Posts
Back in the old days, there were quite a few components discussed (resistors, FETs, capacitors, etc). Even specs on many of the individual components were posted. Then shops like FICMRepair.com and CircuitBoardMedics popped up and did such a good job of upgrading the weak circuit board components, I just quit keeping up with those details.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I made up a pigtail and and connected it to the #2 side of the harness and was able to get the bad injectors to click. This did throw some injector low and high codes.

Is there a way to test the logic board or the driver board? I read the DIY write up, but didn't see any testing procedure, just re-solder here and there.

Is it worth taking a chance on a $120 driver board vs the $425+ FICM repair dot com route?

What gets replace in a rebuild?
Yeah get the FICM rebuilt. I would also recommend a new injector harness if that doesn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
2006 F350 XLT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ugh. Replacing the driver board did NOT work. It did set injector high codes for the injector #1,4,6,7.

I am leaning towards Circuit Board Medics to buy a reman FICM because they are in SC and can get it to me pretty quick. I am ready to get this over! Thoughts on those guys? I do like the FICM repair guy's videos.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
8,774 Posts
Both are good as I stated above. CBM will be cheaper.

Replacing just a power board works sometimes but IMO it is at best a bandaid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts