Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting development today, I was really bored so I pulled the factory amp & sub out to take a closer look at it. Pulled the sub out and to my surprise, its an 8" dual voice coil subwoofer and even more surprising was that only one of the coils was connected. There were two sets of wires coming from the amp, but one was just laying in the box not connected to anything. I'm curious if is this is a fluke or has anyone else encountered this?

FYI the resistance was 1.3 ohm and 1.4 ohm respectively.

I hooked them both up and Ill run it tomorrow and see if there is any improvement in the sound quality.

I don't suppose anyone knows what the output is on these tiny factory amps? amp PN 7L2T-18C808-AA

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,718 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I opened it up because I could only tell I had a sub if I really cranked up the volume, it was almost as if it wasn't doing much of anything at normal listening volume. I wanted to see how poor the quality of the sub was and measure the resistance to see if I could replace it with an aftermarket sub with all the xmas sales this time of year.

The performance had always been poor, there wasn't anything that prompted me to check it out, just boredom. I closely inspected the tabs on the sub and two of them had obviously never been connected, no scratches or anything, had they been connected and somehow fallen off they would have left minor scratches on the speaker tabs. Im also confident they didn't fall off as the connectors are very tight once connected. They were definitely never connected in the first place.

As for the update, the sub's performance has improved noticeably, it really added to the depth of the music. I have JL C3 speakers throughout the cab so my factory sub has always been the poor performer of the group. Not so much anymore, i'm really happy with the improvement. Sure it could be better but that would involve a new box, sub and amp.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm curious about mine now.
Its pretty easy, fold the seat down, 3 bolts on the passenger side, 1 torx bolt towards the drivers side and the one electrical connection going to the amp. Then wrestle it up and out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I only had my truck a month before I decided to upgrade the stereo.

The factory subwoofer in my 12 Raptor and 04 F150 were both much more effective than the one in my Super Duty. In fact, I didn't even think it had one, until I saw it with my own eyes. I still have the factory subwoofer in my garage, I'll crack it open tonight. If only one voice coil was hooked up, it would explain a lot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts