Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but only found questions about connecting the factory cam to aftermarket headunits. I haul travel trailers/ 5th's for a living so the tailgate has to go. But i like having a backup cam for hooking tag trailers. So my question is this....

Has anyone hooked up a license plate bolt-on style camera to the factory backup cam system?

My truck is a '15 f250 cclb 4wd. The factory cam connector has 6 wires in it, and the license plate cam only has power(+) and vid out. My thinking is that I can just cut the connector off the tailgate, figure out what wire powers the cam in the tailgate and which is video back to the rearview. Tie the wires in from the new cam and be good to go? What do you all think? Am I missing something stupidly simple?

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
There should be 4 wires in use. You should have Video +, Video -, 12vdc and ground. The one of the other wires are probably shields.

I would get a new harness for the tailgate instead of cutting off the one in your tailgate. A new harness is approx $15.00.

Tailgate harness - FC3Z-14A412-A

Wiring Assembly - Tailgate | Genuine Ford | FC3Z-14A412-A : AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

Pin 1 - VT-GY - 12vdc
Pin 3 - GY-VT - Control Mod.
Pin 3 - BN-VT - Video -
Pin 4 - WH-GN - Video +
Pin 5 - BLK - ground
Pin 6 - not used

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From left to right they are...
- Grey w/ purple stripe
- black
- bare wrapped shield
- Brown w/ purple stripe
- white w/ green stripe
- purple w/ grey stripe

Sorry I don't know the color abbreviations that you have in ur post. Can you explain which of the above coincides with which? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking it's this (same left to right) but not 100%....?

- control mod
- ground
- shield
- video neg
- video pos
- 12vdc

·
Super Moderator
1,534 Posts
I put the pins and colors in order per the Ford wiring diagram.

Pin 1 - VIOLET w/GRAY STRIPE - 12vdc
Pin 3 - GRAY- w/VIOLET STRIPE - Control Mod.
Pin 3 - BROWN-\ w/VIOLET STRIPE - Video -
Pin 4 - WHITE- w/GREEN STRIPE - Video +
Pin 5 - BLACK - ground/shield
Pin 6 - not used

Depending on which plug you have, truck body wiring or tailgate harness, the pin numbers will be the same but the order is reversed.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts