·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is my own "impression"

Goose neck trailer, Moritz 22+10 hydraulic dovetail and winch, 8100#'s
Articulated man liftJLG 600AJ, 22060#'s

Total 30160#'s plus a few hundred pound of chains and tie downs

Coming from a 2016 Ram HO, Aisin, CrewCab log box dually 4.10 gear, the 450 gets moving easier (10 speed), but once moving I think that the cummins is better, the cummins just pulls harder at low rpms (but then again it had a 6 speed), Boy do I miss the cummins engine brake.....the Ford is just not even a match.

Pro's

Brakes, way better than the RAM

Trailer brake controller, also way better than the RAM, the RAM has this stupid low voltage low gain at speeds under 40km/h, just stupid.

Turning radius, YES FINALLY, NO MORE 6 point turns, no more re set the truck for the lack of turning radius, specially backing up long trailer in tight spots.

LED head light, way better than the projector style on the RAM

Smooth shifting when loaded, and it does not hunt gears.

Better fuel economy than the RAM

Con's

Exhaust brake....its a joke

Rides rough empty (soon to be fixed, Bilsteins)

Two different wiring on the trailer plugs...WTF Ford ? the box 7 way plug is standard, the bumper pull plug has the charge leads reversed.....

·
Registered
452 Posts
Was the exhaust brake just on or set to auto? I have a 19 450 and pulling my 5er down steep grades with exhaust brake set to auto it always has held speed. Obviously I do not have the 10 speed so maybe that makes a difference. On the towing test I watched on Youtube they said the same thing as you and the Dodge held speed going down the Ike Gauntlet without touching the brakes. Funny you get better mileage with the Ford I have seen so many mixed reviews on that one. The turning radius of the 450 is awesome and is the reason I chose a 450 personally. Keep us updated if you don't mind on your opinions with the truck and congratulations on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried auto and full, the Ram is just better. I understand why hot shots get the RAM, but for my use, the 450 is just better, that turning radius saves me time (money), I just don't understand why people get the 350 over the 450.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Coming from a 2016 Ram HO, Aisin, CrewCab log box dually 4.10 gear, the 450 gets moving easier (10 speed), (1) but once moving I think that the cummins is better, the cummins just pulls harder at low rpms (but then again it had a 6 speed), (2) Boy do I miss the cummins engine brake.....the Ford is just not even a match.
(1) I've heard this before and one reason why I considered the Ram. Some say the inline six is made for pulling and inherently balanced this is why semis are vastly inline six motors. I have no opinion on this since I have never pulled with one.

(2) Again many have said this. But I am satisfied with my engine brake performance especially in manual mode. I may test drive a Ram so I can see for myself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Taxes and payload....
They are both class 3 trucks, 14000#'s, the 350 pay load is about 600#' better than the 450, the 450 has 2000#' better GCVW. So i don't understand the payload and taxes, in Ontario, Canada, we pay based on the how much weight we want to carry, so you can register a 450 for 8000#'s, but you better no get caught over 8000#'s if that is what you are registered for, I have my truck registered for 45000#'s, I use it for work.

·
1% Club
50 Posts
I tried auto and full, the Ram is just better. I understand why hot shots get the RAM, but for my use, the 450 is just better, that turning radius saves me time (money), I just don't understand why people get the 350 over the 450.
Routine maintenance and ease of finding someone who can work on it. Local Ford dealerships do not have the capability to do any routine maintenance

·
Super Moderator
9,274 Posts
in Ontario, Canada, we pay based on the how much weight we want to carry,

Well it's not that much different than the USA. Most areas will verify the door sticker GVWR and force the issue with what you are going to pay. Other areas may allow you to "self claim" GVWR. SO the areas that drive you to use sticker numbers will pay higher taxes.

600-1000 lbs in the bed for payload/trailer tongue weight is sometimes what some people want over GCVW ratings.....How hard is that to understand????????

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, keep in mind this is my own experience coming from a 16 ram ho 3500 crew cab dually 4.10.

Today i pulled a bumper pull with a skid steer (8800#'s skid steer and 2400#'s trailer) up and down a 11km 4% at 90km/h. It really feels completely different than the ram, while the ram pulling up hill fells like a truck, the ford felt more like a car, down hill the ram exhaust brake would slow you down to the point of turning it off or putting it in auto, the ford would just hold at full or auto, i am still getting used to the truck, one thing with exhaust brakes off, the ford does have a better grade shift than the ram. Also i found my self looking 6th gear on the ram quite often (on 20000#'s or more loads) due to the ram always wanted to lug the engine, that is not the case with the ford, seems to be in the right gear all the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
From my understanding, the Ford exhaust brake is supposed to hold at the speed you pump the brakes at while on auto not sow you down so much you have to turn it off. This is a good thing for predictability purposes IMO.

I beleuve they talk about the funtion a bit in this video:

I just got my F450 and haven't pulled anything yet. But my 18 F250 exhaust brake worked perfect with a 12k bumber pull. Albeit I haven't had the pleasure of driving a ram though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just don't understand why people get the 350 over the 450.
100% agree! I almost got a 350 W/4.10 but after finding one in Platinum with the options I wanted it came down to only $2,800 difference between it a the F450 Platinum similarly equipped. All it took for me was a 10 mile test drive in each and a parking lot turning radius test to make my decision easy.

$2,800 for better brakes, WAY better turning radius, overall capability, better looking (wide axle front), and commercial grade tires seemed like a steel to me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Granted I have never considered a 450 but why is the turning radius better on the 450 than on the 350? It seems to me that it would be the other way around but again I have done zero research into this other than the threads on here that state that the 450 has a better radius

·
Registered
17 Posts
Granted I have never considered a 450 but why is the turning radius better on the 450 than on the 350? It seems to me that it would be the other way around but again I have done zero research into this other than the threads on here that state that the 450 has a better radius

The 450 has a wide based axle in the front. The wide based front axle coupled with its commercial grade wheels and tires are able to turn significantly more before the bumpstop engage.

This leads to the vehicle being able to maneuver extremely well, especially for how big the 450 is.

I am not positive but it feels as though my turning radious in the 450 is as good if not better than my 160" wheel based F250 crew cab.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Awesome thanks for the info. I kept reading it so it had to be true I just couldn't wrap my head around why

·
Registered
122 Posts
The 450 has a wide based axle in the front. The wide based front axle coupled with its commercial grade wheels and tires are able to turn significantly more before the bumpstop engage.

This leads to the vehicle being able to maneuver extremely well, especially for how big the 450 is.

I am not positive but it feels as though my turning radious in the 450 is as good if not better than my 160" wheel based F250 crew cab.
I'd be willing to bet it's better. I'm not super impressed with my 2019 CCSB turning radius at all. Fortunately I rarely have to put it to the test. It is still worlds better then my old 2016 F350 CCLB turning radius...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts