Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
They make a special eccentric bushing for the upper ball joint to change caster/camber angle. Also if the tires are toed in too much towards the front it’ll eat the outsides up for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, agree. If you are wearing the outside edge of the front tires you are toed in. In other words, the front tires are aimed towards each other (slightly) instead of being close to parallel.

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the replies! Hearing that my tire problem is not a lost cause is good for my stress levels. I’m anxious for next Wednesday to see how much the alignment is off. I’ll let you know!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone figured out a way to get better fuel mileage out of the F-450? My 2016 Platinum, for lack of a better description, sucks in Fuel mileage. Lucky to get 13 MPG, truck bed empty and no trailer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2005 550 CC Standard cab.I bought for a project truck.The 6.0 doesn't run.Has alot of new parts on the motor.I was going to put my 75 super cab on the frame the 05 is in such good shape decide to keep the 05 cab on it.I ended given the 75 rolling chassi minus the motor and transmission.they're going to be swapped in the 05 selling the 05 motor and trans.The motor going into the 550 is a Perkins 6.0 in line diesel twin turbo the trans is a 1000 Alison 6sp out of a 06 duramax.I made a stand alone system tap, and tow haul work programmed with EFI Live.
I have remove all stoke springs and spring brackets from frame.Left the front spring brackets to use for the home made airride track arms setup.Used Kenworth air bags from the 8 bags setup.Just the right size and readily available.Cut a section out of the frame 60" to put a 2016 dually bed on.Had to make frame mounts to put the bed on because frame is narrower than the 350s.
Picked up a B&W flip over set from a swap meet for $75.00 had to narrow it also and drill holes in frame and weld it.
Switched out the bench seat with bucket seats and console a friend gave me .They were tan I dyed them grey to match the rest of the interior.
Working on the left tail light mechanism that pushes the light out to be able to put fuel in.I don't want to cut another hole in the bedside for a door.The bed was a new take off .0 miles on it.The original fuel filter is in the front going to use it to run the air hose out from under the bedside.I have a gear driven air compressor on the motor.I have to switch out the grille and headlights and bumper for all chrome.I like skinny things.
I have figure out how to post pictures.
I was originally going to use the truck for some hot shoting when I retire in a couple of years maybe.
Sorry for rambling on.There are of other things I've done like I built a double receiver hitch.And still have to build the front airride.
If this isn't the place for this I will move it are you may. Just figured because of it's a F550
Pictures in gallery.
Dale

G

·
Thanks your thread idea! Although I still haven't owned any F250/F350, I expected a thread where everyone can share their experience and I and learn from them. When I save enough money I'll buy an F250 or F350.
stylemotorbikes.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dana S130L to S135 Swap

Looking for some help here on axle swap and potential outer hub swap to get the right lug pattern.

I have a 2005 F450 with a Dana S130L 4.88 ratio, it has the limited slip but I need a full locker however one is not made for the S130 axle. The S135 from 99 to 04 trucks takes a drop in Detroit locker however the lug pattern on the S135 is 8x225 and the S130 is 10x225, they make 2" thick aluminum adapters but I do not want to go this route and want to stay with the 10x225 direct bolt on 20" super single wheels I have purchased, does anyone know if the the 10 lug outer hubs from the S130 axle be swapped directly onto the S135 axle with out modification?

Dan

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Howdy folks-
It is very refreshing to come across a thread like this.
I have had my ‘08 F-450 since it was new. Bought in late ‘07, and just went over 50K with it.
It sat so long with numerous deployments and then working overseas.
It is a job 1 with the 4:88’s.
Ford had flashed it many years ago to make the regeneration work a bit differently. Originally, The instrument cluster had something like “cleaning in progress”, but now it just kind of does it when it wants to :).
Anyway enough babbling. Any pointers out there with regards to maintenance other than what the supplement calls for?
Thanks in advance.
Michael
P.S. I just read my signature block and need to change it. I never did do any of those mods other that the air filter. I need to get that changed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looking for some help here on axle swap and potential outer hub swap to get the right lug pattern.

I have a 2005 F450 with a Dana S130L 4.88 ratio, it has the limited slip but I need a full locker however one is not made for the S130 axle. The S135 from 99 to 04 trucks takes a drop in Detroit locker however the lug pattern on the S135 is 8x225 and the S130 is 10x225, they make 2" thick aluminum adapters but I do not want to go this route and want to stay with the 10x225 direct bolt on 20" super single wheels I have purchased, does anyone know if the the 10 lug outer hubs from the S130 axle be swapped directly onto the S135 axle with out modification?

Dan
I have a 2000 f550 4x4 that I put custom built 8x225-20 super singles on. I went with MPT 38's as I also have 4.88 gears to get a bit better hwy cruise. It didn't hit me until after I had the wheels made to maybe put 10x225-20 hubs on my axles, front and back. Were you able to find actual manufactured super singles wheels for the 10x225-20 or did you have them built custom? I'm not particularly happy with the custom 8x225-20 wheels I had made. I am very happy with a super single set up as it works very well for the things I do. If I knew 10x225 aftermarket wheels were available (not custom), I'd look more at putting those hubs on my axles. I would also really like a LSD for my axle. One might be able to look at the axle as-built data to see if similar parts are used??

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've heard several times now that f450/f550 c&c are derated from the factory. Can anyone positively verify if a 2000 F550 4x4 c&c 7.3psd was also derated from the factory? I've searched but not come up with anything but hearsay. Being an older 2000 makes me question it?????

·
Premium Member
805 Posts

Dan
I have a 2000 f550 4x4 that I put custom built 8x225-20 super singles on. I went with MPT 38's as I also have 4.88 gears to get a bit better hwy cruise. It didn't hit me until after I had the wheels made to maybe put 10x225-20 hubs on my axles, front and back. Were you able to find actual manufactured super singles wheels for the 10x225-20 or did you have them built custom? I'm not particularly happy with the custom 8x225-20 wheels I had made. I am very happy with a super single set up as it works very well for the things I do. If I knew 10x225 aftermarket wheels were available (not custom), I'd look more at putting those hubs on my axles. I would also really like a LSD for my axle. One might be able to look at the axle as-built data to see if similar parts are used??
Lets see some pics of those 550's with the super single conversions

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,903 Posts
I've heard several times now that f450/f550 c&c are derated from the factory. Can anyone positively verify if a 2000 F550 4x4 c&c 7.3psd was also derated from the factory? I've searched but not come up with anything but hearsay. Being an older 2000 makes me question it?????

They are. They come with 20 less horsepower or there about. Look at the sticker on the passenger side valve cover. If its green its derated.

Edit: As a matter of fact just changed the oil in a 2000 C&C this morning. Green sticker said 235 HP. Pretty sure the red sticker ones are 285. So 50hp.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lets see some pics of those 550's with the super single conversions
Mines nothing special. Mines the lwb and looks worse in pics as they always turn out looking like they came out of a carnival mirror. I really do like the super single set up. It's much more stable feeling than it even was as a dually and tires are only $2000 compared to $3000! The ss work well as I take it off road often hauling 1 1/2 cord firewood, 3ton hay, hauling the horse trailer and snow cat. I built a flatbed for the width of the ss tires.

·
Registered
46 Posts
They are. They come with 20 less horsepower or there about. Look at the sticker on the passenger side valve cover. If its green its derated.

Edit: As a matter of fact just changed the oil in a 2000 C&C this morning. Green sticker said 235 HP. Pretty sure the red sticker ones are 285. So 50hp.

It is a green sticker. [email protected] So all parts would be the same as non derated engines with the derate coming from factory pcm flash (tune)?? Would a tuner change the flash on a derated engine to the same ratings as if the tuner were on a non derated engine? I believe my 02 f250 7.3 is [email protected] but not certain.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts

Dan
I can now confirm that the 10x225 hubs bolt onto my 04 F550 axle without modification. Did this on my truck this past week.

2004+earlier 8 lug hubs compared to 2005+later 10 lug hubs:

2005+later 10 lug hubs on my 2004 axle housing. Used the 2005+ brake caliper brackets for the later pad springs, and my 2004 calipers that were still serviceable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
New 10 x 225 hubs and rotors? Cost $? Tire tracking will stay the same as with the 8 x 225? Is yours 4x4? If so will you change the front to 10 x 225? Are you using 10 x 225 supersingle wheels? TIA

·
Registered
1 Posts
2020 10 speed vs. prior year 2019

Being that most people here have F250/F350 a thread is needed for us owners of real trucks to share info that might get lost in other threads. Most parts sites don't even have 450/550 options in the drop down box. Hopefully here we can share some hard won info. Any questions? Say hello and be subscribed.
*I,m{y13Yrredecessor
Seems a bit strange for me to say hello to a post dated 2016, but...HELLO

Question: Has anyone been able to evaluate the 2020 10 speed tranny in a 450 pickup and compare that to the 6 speed predecessor while pulling? Especially interested in mountain pulls and performance differential noticed. Since different HP and torque is also in play for 2020, not sure if there is a reasonable answer to this question, but I sure would appreciate any input.

·
'consent of the governed'
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
*I,m{y13Yrredecessor
Seems a bit strange for me to say hello to a post dated 2016, but...HELLO

Question: Has anyone been able to evaluate the 2020 10 speed tranny in a 450 pickup and compare that to the 6 speed predecessor while pulling? Especially interested in mountain pulls and performance differential noticed. Since different HP and torque is also in play for 2020, not sure if there is a reasonable answer to this question, but I sure would appreciate any input.
Nah, HELLO. I have no idea the answer to your question, but hi.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
New 10 x 225 hubs and rotors?

Answer: New rotors and bearings, yes. I parted out an 05 F550 that I took the hubs and caliper brackets from.

Cost $?

Answer: idk, check rockauto.

Tire tracking will stay the same as with the 8 x 225?

Answer: This isn't a question. If you're wondering about the track width, there is no difference.

Is yours 4x4?

Answer: No.

If so will you change the front to 10 x 225?

Answer: Yes, but it is more involved. The 04 and down axle has smaller wheel bearings, and smaller knuckles, than the 05+ axles. Thus, you can't just bolt on the 05+ unit bearing hub to the 04- knuckle like I'd hoped. I'll be using the parts I have to convert over to the coil spring suspension with the 05+ axle to get 10 lug hubs up front.

Are you using 10 x 225 supersingle wheels?

Answer: god no

Read my thread (see signature) for more detail.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Howdy. F450 not a C/C just a pickup.

But having to choose F350 for most things and hope it will fit is mighty annoying.

141 - 160 of 174 Posts