Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 1997 f350 7.3 powestroke diesel,mannual tranny.

My issue is :
that when i turn the truck on and and if the check engine light on the truck comes on the truck runs fine.

Example: I get into truck , turn key and truck starts with out check engine coming one, then dies about 30 seconds later. It will start to studder and then die.

Then i will turn kee off, wait about 30 seconds the turn key on, wait another 30 seconds, turn truck on, check enginelight coes on and the truck runs like a champ.

Why Is my truck only running fine if the check enginelight comes on?

I have tried 2 obd readers and its found no codes!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
What kind of reader are you using? Most of the ones found at Auto Parts houses will not work on the PSD. Cheers!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I bet its the icp sensor mine did the same thing. When u first start the truck befor it dies unplug the icp sensor if the cel comes on and the truck smooths out than thats it. The reason the truck runs better when the cel pops on is the pcm senses that the icp is out of its disired psi reading and then the pcm uses a pre set psi to use and stops reading psi from the icp. While your truck runs ok when the cel is set it still is very slugesh untill u install the new sensor. There are a few sensers on the truck that have pre set perameters in the pcm for when they kick the bucket.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app while my boss isnt looking...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts