Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any thing to do to lower my 99 4x4 f250 probably 3 in the front 4 in the back

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nobody has got anything for me

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Diesel Innovations sells drop shackles for your rear end.
Diesel Innovations - Products
My brother put these on his 2wd and it got rid of that terrible stock rake in the back.
With the drop shckles in the back it will give you that lower Drag truck 4x4 stance.:nod:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
+1 on the shackles. you can also get your springs de arced like mine are in the rear. i also have 1 leaf taken out

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
who would you take something like that too get it de arced. I was thinking of doing the 2
"drop shackles in the back and taking two leafs out in the front and seeing how that sits. im going to be getting a 16 black crager rim with a 285/70/16 toyo open country h/t tuff duty tires i want it to sit really good with this set up

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
check around to see if you have a spring shop by you. they can custom build or modify your leafs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a shop that does truck racing suspension so i think they will be able to get me something worked out thanks for the help everyone

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have some interest in this too. My thoughts were that the rear will be pretty simple. The same as 2 wheel drive. Pretty much your options are shackle/hanger, a flip kit which will probably give you more than you are looking for or dearched springs. You could also do a more custom link suspension with coilovers and set the ride height were you want it.

As for the front that is a little more tricky but certainly possible. I was thinking about a flip or different springs until I saw a 4 link lift kit and thought that with custom brackets you could probably install a really nice link suspension up front too.

I don't think any of this is really difficult, it just takes somebody with some metal fab skills and some patience

·
Registered
261 Posts
No offense but why would you want to lower a 4 wheel drive vehicle? :dunno:

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
my truck is lowered level in the rear. i took the over load spring out and the rear block, i think maybe 2 springs i dont remember.

i have tried excursion springs up front and they lowered it a little bit too.

i wasnt sure about the front diff though if it was good or not

i love the lowered look, i wish i could get it lower in the front

btw you cant lower the front much more then like an inch, the oil pan will hit the front axle

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well to be honest i love the 4x4 look and off road but im looking for more of a sleeper drag truck look and it doesnt hurt the mpg like a bug off road rig does.

damn i was really hoping to go more than an inch in the front

eventually i plan to have an 05 front clip (maybe). Im going with a flat black paint job and get some black cragar 352 series 16" rims and a roll pan in the back and a black powder coated 5 miter cut stack about 8" below the cab

·
Registered
82 Posts
No offense but why would you want to lower a 4 wheel drive vehicle? :dunno:
Think about it more along the lines of an all wheel drive car or suv. If you don't go off road with your truck there is no real reason to have it so high. Lowering improves handling by lowering the center of gravity. With big power 4x4 will help hook it up, maybe you want to do some competitive pulling with it. There is no reason to have it that high. I like the idea of four wheel drive, but don't really have a reason to have it so tall. I also like the look of lowered trucks.

To get the front low, you will have to do some custom work. Especially if you want more than 1". What you would need to do is put c notches in front. That will give you the ability to go lower. What is going to dictate the maximum is the engine crossmember. You may be able to get more with an axle with a smaller tube, but I like my dana 60. Once you get the ride height were you want it in front that is going to give you the height you need in back. Someone with a welder and some time could do it without much trouble.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
well to be honest i love the 4x4 look and off road but im looking for more of a sleeper drag truck look and it doesnt hurt the mpg like a bug off road rig does.

damn i was really hoping to go more than an inch in the front

eventually i plan to have an 05 front clip (maybe). Im going with a flat black paint job and get some black cragar 352 series 16" rims and a roll pan in the back and a black powder coated 5 miter cut stack about 8" below the cab
sounds alot like my truck, roll pan, 6inch miter black in the bed below the cab, 20inch black wheels, lowered..looks cool

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can weld pretty good and i have some friends who weld really good ( one of them won the Texas welding state tournament) what would we need to do for the C notches ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can weld pretty good and i have some friends who weld really good ( one of them won the Texas welding state tournament) what would we need to do for the C notches ?
What I was thinking was finding a piece of steel pipe and cutting it in half length wise so it makes a c and cutting out above the axle and welding it in place. Then boxing the frame in on the inside. It should be plenty strong if you use the same gauge as the frame or maybe a little heavier. I think the axle is at least 3" in diameter so I would try to find a 5" pipe or bigger.

It would require to pull the entire front suspension, then placing the axle under the truck with no leaf springs to find where you have to cut. I would put bump stops on the engine cros smember because that is the tallest point and will set how high the notches will sit. After that it is just a matter of figuring out the suspension. I think one of the aftermarket 4 link lift kits would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Another thing you will have to contend with that I just thought of is the gear housing on the front axle. You will need to make sure it doesn't hit anything above it. This may prove to be the most challenging part as the steering box is right above there.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
what are you guys trying to do? lower the front? the biggest problem is the oil pan

·
Registered
82 Posts
what are you guys trying to do? lower the front? the biggest problem is the oil pan
Yea, that is what we are discussing now. The crossmember under the oil pan is actually a hair lower than the oil pan and it would dictate the extent of the drop. I have a 1 ton and the suspension only has about 3 inches before it hits the bumpstops anyway. I would say a 4-5 inch drop would be possible with cutting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts