Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this to give someone else help. I seached for photos but never found them so i am posting them now. I run WVO and needed extra tank without taking up bed space. I went to junk yard and found Excursion tank and metal shield, fuel pump and houseing and sending unit for $250. Then I went to work Cuting out x brace and building mounts pictures are below.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Excursion tanks are plastic with a metal shield. Picking my tank of tuesday for this exact install. Man I wish I had the dimensions to the brackets that he made.

AJ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Saw a similar install where they mounted the rear portion to the existing hitch mount. This install they removed the hitch and tabbed their own bracket. I would love to use my hitch as the rear support. Be nice to know why the OP didn't do that. I guess when I get my bed off I will see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have had some questions asked about the install. PM me for info. As to the reason I made my own braket for rear is that i used and after market bumper.... if u have a reciver hitch you can use it as your rear mount. Caution if u dont have a gooseneck hitch your frame will give without support!!! Here are some quick pictures of rebuild ealry 99 psd converted to 07 king ranch.....Only rims left then it will be complete. PS 05-07 rims require spacer to fit 99 model f-350!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Man ol man...

That looks awesome!!! I just bought a 2007 back seat for my new to me 99 lariat. My truck is a little beat up cometicaly but the frame and power train are good to go. I scored some back seats on ebay that were taken out the day after the guy bought them. They have been sitting in a garage for a few years but in perfect condition. They shipped from Dallas today. I really wanted headrests for the kids riding in the back and the truck I bought had a horribly worn back leather seat which is just a plain bench seat.

I don't think I will go as far as you did with the upgrade to my 1999 but I really want to get my front buckets replaced with heated seats. They are hammered. Who did you get your seats from? Also want to replace my center console for something with cup holders in the front and back like my excursion has also with a power outlet for the back seats. I want to put a new carpet kit in too, who did you use?

Also would love to have heated mirrors that slide. My 99 has the fixed towing mirrors and would love to have them in a bit like my 2003 excursion has. How a hard was that mod.

My dash is still pretty nice but man yours looks sweet. WHat did you have to do to do all of that. You are freakishly talented man...Thanks for the phone call today.

AJ

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Loss of torsional rigidity in the frame would have me worried. A single piece of strap iron between the frame rails would seem to be a bit inadequate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Loss of torsional rigidity in the frame would have me worried. A single piece of strap iron between the frame rails would seem to be a bit inadequate.
Im sure a second one aft could be added. You also have the hitch mounted at the rear of the frame. This is the second one i have seen. And no reported issues...

AJ

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is my plan for putting my spare tire on the gooseneck hitch I have with the excursion tank being where the spare tie went. Got the idea from my excursion that has the tire mounted inside in the back. Ordered the parts this week.

First going to use a gooseneck hitch coupler head pic below. Got it from etrailer. its made by redline. http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Coup...ne/291300.html Going to weld a 1/2 inch hex head bolt to it right in the center. Not sure the length I need yet. Will have to measure with rim on it.

The rim will lay down in the bed (outside toward the bed) the coupler with bolt welded to it coming out the center of the rim. In the picture below I am using part 15 (retainer mount plate) and 14 (Spare tire retainer) total price 11 dollars from Tousley ford Parts online. http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/part...layCatalogid=0

So bolt in the middle of the rim, the retainer mount plate goes over the bolt and lays on the rim and the retainer (basically a large wing nut) screws down on the 1/2" bolt tightening the rim to the coupler.

The whole thing can easily be removed when needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts