Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 f350 7.3 with 180k on it. The truck sat up for 11 years. I started it once In a while. I put a new belt fluids and tires etc on it to get ready for the trip. I took it on a few long trips to test it out before the cross country trip.

Half way into my trip the truck started blowing through oil all of a sudden. I read on this blog that it could be the injector o rings. That makes sense so I watched a few you tube videos and realized this would not be something to do on the side of the road. I found a shop that works on diesels and power-strokes, I took the truck there and they changed all 8 injector rings. This wasn’t in my budget but I didn’t have much of a choice.

I left the shop and now the truck is hesitating which never happened before the o rings were changed. now it’s suddenly jumping and stalls when I am stopped at a traffic light. This is now a new problem.

I got about 50 miles down the road and had lost 2 quarts of oil again. I know the injector rings were bad, at least on one of the injectors, they showed me the rubber was corroded and I could see the fibers that are the core of the o ring the rubber was broken down. when I left the shop, I changed my fuel filter and it was black.

Since leaving the shop I am still blowing through oil, but now the truck is sputtering and getting worse as I go. I thought maybe some dirt could have gone down into the injector selves, so I poured the fuel out of the fuel bowl and filled it with sea foam, I turned it over for 30 seconds and let it sit a bit to clean the injectors. It ran better for 80 miles but it’s back to sputtering. as far as the oil, I’m having to stop every 50 miles and adding 2 quarts.

They said at the shop that when they pulled the turbo tubes that there was a little bit of oil but not much. If anyone has any ideas of what to try please let me know. I have another 500 miles left on my trip and pulling a big 5th wheel, I just hope I can make it the rest of the way.

I just can’t understand how it can be burning so much oil. The oil pressure gage looks good as well as the engine temp, I have power other that the new sudden sputter that feels like a fuel problem.

If anyone else has experienced anything like this or can help please let me know how to resolve this.
thanks Greg

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
check your fuel bowl for oil....sounds like a poor o-ring job or inferior replacement o-rings

I'd take the truck back to the shop to make it right.

Also the hesitation/missing could be air in the HPO system from having the o-rings replaced....can take a while to purge.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts