Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those with external fuel tanks in the beds. What are your thoughts on these? Do you like them? Are they prone to getting dirt or water in them? What would you do diffrent if you could do it over?
I've got 6 of the 50 gallon tanks just sittin around so I got to wondering how hard would it be to plumb one in with a GOOD filter system? I read after doing a search you just plumb it in to your filler neck. Is their somewere you can buy a pre-tapped filler neck? And what type of filter set up would you suggest? Thanks J.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you NYC f-350. Those are what I was looking for. So now here is the next question. Will a stock gas cap hold pressure? I could run 2 of these in the filler neck. One to fill with and one as a saftey return line going back to the external tank in case of over fill. ( I got kids dont say it wont happen). Or in the case of over fill would the gas cap just let it puke it out?

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
I could run 2 of these in the filler neck. One to fill with and one as a saftey return line going back to the external tank in case of over fill. ( I got kids dont say it wont happen). Or in the case of over fill would the gas cap just let it puke it out?
A quote from the "overview" on the website where the product is offered:

This RDS kit is designed to connect your auxiliary diesel fuel tank to your truck's fuel fill hose to provide consistent gravity feed of fuel. Automatically controls the fuel level going into your OEM tank so that it does not overfill. Easy, simple installation. Kit includes hose, clamps and fittings. Intended for diesel fuel only. U.S.A.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Im gonna azzume that the gas cap wont seep then... So I wouldnt even need a pump,so that means I could spend the extra on a kick azz fuel filter set up! NYC F- 350 thanks again!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I have a second tank mounted where my spare tire was. I plumbed it into the factory filler neck for both fueling the second tank and using that fuel to fill the factory tank. I don't have any "leaking" problems from that setup.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought more about this last nite and not having a pump is a big bonus so this has now gone from a "would be nice" to a ya its gonna happen. Now I gotta find a fuel level guage that I could run up into the cab.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like those as well but Ive got 6 of the 50 gallon square ones just sittin in the side yard.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE- was out in the driveway with a couple tanks in the back just checkin them out. Wife walked by and sais "eewwww your not puttin those in their are you? Get one in the box....". So it looks like Im still gonna have 6 in the yard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts