Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my question concerning the extended service plan and how it works for those of you who have purchased this plan... I too purchased it but it's not turning out like I thought.

I took my truck in for service this weekend and it had over 20,000 miles and the filter filter had no been changed out. First thing the service rep at the dealer states is that you need to change the fuel filter. I said I agree and have a Premium Service plan and I would like to have it changed. I go to the waiting area and a few minutes later they come out and say it doesn't get changed with my plan until 30K miles. When I asked about the first thing you told me was it needed changing and the regular scheduled service in the owners manual states this then why are you giving me a printout with something that states in get changed at 30K miles and not 20k.... long story short I wasn't happy but didn't make a major issue out of it in front of everyone.

So my question is are you guys experiencing the same thing or is your dealer changing things like fuel filter, etc right by the owners manual. I called Ford today and the lady basically read the manual to me and said the dealer was the expert.... I've got a request in to speak with a supervisor who should call back within 24 hrs but I wanted info from you guys before I speak with Ford again.

thanks for any input.

·
Super Moderator
8,889 Posts
By the Owner's manual your fuel filters are due at 30,000 miles. Unless you are at 28k....they won't be changed under the plan.

When I used my plan they would do the servicing when it was really close (as I would tell them I'm going on a trip) or I was already at the mileage interval. That's just how it is.....

·
Registered
2018 F350 Limited
241 Posts
Those service plans are kind of a crap shoot. Ford recommends 30k miles but if you use your truck in temps below -9f or above 100f, on dusty roads, sustained high speed Heavy hauling, or extensive low speed operation/idling, it recommends you change them at 15k miles or engine 600hrs. (Some situations are less. 300hr intervals)

I would assume the service plans offered are based on normal/light usage. So if you use your SD truck as an SD truck, you are SOL.

·
Super Moderator
8,889 Posts
I think that is where you can argue the Service Plan coverage. It's how YOU use the truck. I did it before when I had mine in effect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In my opinion the service plans never work out in the owners favor. It’s usually cheaper just to pay out of pocket.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I just bought the plan, where my oil is changed every 5,000 miles. Is the above statement, the consent of most owners? what is an oil change costing on these trucks? Where are you buying oil, fuel, and air filters?
If I do it myself, it runs around $120 using the OEM filter and Amsoil 5w40. The local dealer will do it for $106.94 with an OEM filter and MC 10-30.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I just bought the plan, where my oil is changed every 5,000 miles. Is the above statement, the consent of most owners? what is an oil change costing on these trucks? Where are you buying oil, fuel, and air filters?
If you perform the work yourself, you could do it for about $90 using Motorcraft non-syn oil and MC filter. Probably $20 or so more with full synthetic oil. I usually get my oil (Rotella T6) wherever I can get it on sale or cheapest. Same for filter.If you factor in the time, having to dispose of the oil, etc --- the cost of $107 that @The Evil Twin stated isn't too bad.

·
Premium Member
11,492 Posts
I had an Acura dealership ruin the threads on the oil pan of my TL. They wouldn't own up to it or pay to replace it. That was the end of me using others to change my oil. I did it because it was just as cheap to have them do it as it was to do it myself. I had always done my own oil changes before, so it wasn't a hard decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts