Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
One minor issue I've discovered while taking my measurements is the crew cab rear seat mounting points are 1.5" closer to what will be the rear extended cab seat than the extended cab front seats. Which will make the already small rear seat area even smaller, unless I do extensive floor pan modifications, including moving the whole section of floor pan forward to match. Which would then mess up the fitment of the carpet. I'll likely just live with the smaller back seat area, my kids are little people anyway... *grin*

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Just getting caught up on this one, thing is going to be amazing, good luck

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Spent about 2 hours drilling spot welds... about 200 of them... got the front seat support and the rear foot well area support off the extended cab section. The seat support was removed to allow easier access to cut the floor where I need it, and once I saw the amount of rust damage to the inner rockers and rear foot well floor support, I took it out too. I'm hoping to repair the inner rockers without removing the outter rocker, where the bottom rear door latch mounts. More details on this in the future, as the repairs take place.

Had a helper for a little while earlier in the day... we talked about where to cut the floor, and if her kitten would come play with her in daddy's big red truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Finally got some time in on this today... trimmed back the roof skin on the rear extended cab section, trimmed back the floor... on the crew cab, I removed a few more layers of the section above the rear door, starting to fine tune how each layer will match up, and what will butt up to or over lap the matching layer of the front and rear sections.

The floor pan is also roughed in, minor trimming will be needed, but won't be near as difficult as the roof sections.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Haven't had any time since last week, having worked 72+ hours (12 hours shifts) in the past 7 days... but did a little trimming on the right side rocker/floor pan splice area this evening while the kids fed the horses and other critters.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I wish I had your energy and determination

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
LOL... not feeling real energetic and determined right now, having slept in til 10:30 am, and been sitting on the couch sipping coffee, watching the curly headed one play with dolls and talking to momma while she feeds the baby... lazy relaxing morning... momma has plans for me today, maybe I'll get to the truck project this evening.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Sounds like a perfect morning haha take those when ever you can.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Finally got back to the truck project for an hour or two this evening. Pulled the rocker panel off the left rear of the crew cab, and trimmed the inner rocker panel to match the extended cab section. The inner rocker panel will extend past the floor pan splice by about 6", and the outter rocker panel will go over top of it all, so each layer is staggered for the most strength. Same with the roof channels above the doors, which I also spent some time on... but forgot to take pictures of that.

Attachments

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
DC, it sure is getting close to that..... couple other things to share some time with, but hope to attempt the first line up of the cabs sometime today.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Closer... closer... down to about an inch...

That's right, folks... the extended cab section is in place for the first time. Still some trimming to do, but I've got it to within an inch of where it's going to need to be.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
Now why do all your tools laid out like that, look my what’s in my tool box :( I keep on organizing and it turns to chits again!

Thanks for the close up shots!

Now my other question is since I didn’t see the vertical support for where the door will hinge on, how will you accomplish this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,890 Posts
Now why do all your tools laid out like that, look my what’s in my tool box :( I keep on organizing and it turns to chits again!

Thanks for the close up shots!

Now my other question is since I didn’t see the vertical support for where the door will hinge on, how will you accomplish this ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The small back door opens suicide style. You can see the hinge holes in the 1st pic

Reactions: Rattlesnake18

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
After spending most of the day on yard work yesterday, I did manage to get about an hour to spend on the truck project. I trimmed the last bits of floor/rocker panel interference out, and had the back section close as I can get going by a tape measure. I still need to trim the roof skins to match, but I'm going to need the back doors in place for final fit and placement. Which means swapping doors, as the ones I will use on this project are currently in use on my daily driver.

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Driving me nuts... unable to find time to work on this for weeks now...

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
After spending time hunting, and in general just enjoying time away from work with the family, I never touched the truck project. But I did work out another trade deal, on another superduty crew cab. Even trade, my mud truck for a 2000 F250 crew cab short bed, 4x4, 5.4 gas motor, auto. Lariat leather interior, in used 17 year old shape, with 240k miles. Needs tires, windshield, and exhaust, all of which I have. Will give me something to drive while I transplant the drivetrain from my current daily driver into the extended crew cab project. Then, it will get its own diesel/6spd drivetrain.

If nothing else, I can dream big....

Attachments

Reactions: poorboy1964
41 - 60 of 79 Posts