Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Machinist & Fabricator
676 Posts
been there, done that!
good luck on this, even tho I know you don't need it, except for the availability of time.
ive got 4 kids, and getting out to the shop to work on my projects is a real teeth puller.

these SD's are far easier than the OBS and later trucks!
just wanted to drop a suggestion to ya, for the final roof work.

when I did mine, I cut the entire roof off the donar truck so I can add the main body parts without any hassle.
came up with this for welding the roof together.
I did all this work with a Lincoln 180 HD, with 030 wire.
your equipment will do just fine!
but ontop of my roof brace, I had some aluminum strap as a backer and a heat sink.
if ya got a few minutes, check out my thread.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...arage-built-01-f350-6-door-short-bed-drw.html

P.S. check out the hillbilly stretched limo thread in the SD section, he actually fabed his tailgate to say "super duper" lol

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
h0trod; said:
been there, done that!
good luck on this, even tho I know you don't need it, except for the availability of time.
ive got 4 kids, and getting out to the shop to work on my projects is a real teeth puller.

these SD's are far easier than the OBS and later trucks!
just wanted to drop a suggestion to ya, for the final roof work.

when I did mine, I cut the entire roof off the donar truck so I can add the main body parts without any hassle.
came up with this for welding the roof together.
I did all this work with a Lincoln 180 HD, with 030 wire.
your equipment will do just fine!
but ontop of my roof brace, I had some aluminum strap as a backer and a heat sink.
if ya got a few minutes, check out my thread.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99...arage-built-01-f350-6-door-short-bed-drw.html

P.S. check out the hillbilly stretched limo thread in the SD section, he actually fabed his tailgate to say "super duper" lol

They that's a brilliant idea for the brace to have an even surface to weld. Giving me ideas to weld two beds together! Thanks my man!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Machinist & Fabricator
676 Posts
there will always be better ways to attack it,
just trying to inspire someone to do a better job than I did :D

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The roof is one of the things I'm mulling over in my head. The crew cab has ribs, the extended cab does not. In a perfect world, I'd peel the roof off both cabs and use an Excursion roof skin, so there would be no seam in the middle, only at the back edge where it curves down to the back glass. Another option I have is to use the roof skin off an old chevy van I junked years ago but saved the roof, with this very project in mind. But that's alot more seams to weld up just to get full length roof ribs. And I'm too cheap to buy an Excursion roof skin from a junk yard.

·
Machinist & Fabricator
676 Posts
in my unprofessional opinion,
doing another roof from another truck is going to be alot of work.
I would just stick to the same style. the "eve's" above the door and the sunken in part
for the roof structure spot welds would be some work in transitioning them.

as far as the ribs, don't really need them, it would still look stock, like the back of the truck it came from.
the skin is pretty weak, and the stock supports are much to be desired.

I welded mine and put some fiber bond over it for now to seal the weld across the roof.
a guy over on FTE, and I were building these 6 doors at the same time.
he ended up having ford line it with some sort of bed liner.
remarks of Ford now going to this because the paint never lasts.
his looks sharp. I don't have the cash right now to paint mine.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Mine is a low budget build also... Flying by the seat of my pants, assuming I can handle any issues I find!

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
You got a link to your build as well h0trod? Both you fellas are pros in my book. I'm a jackass of all trades - can't get barely anything right haha but I get r done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts

·
Machinist & Fabricator
676 Posts
Mine is a low budget build also... Flying by the seat of my pants, assuming I can handle any issues I find!
im right there with you man, I have no doubt in your ability,
but if you ever need to talk to someone that's done it before, don't hesitate.
im no expert, but ive done a few.
and im all for saving someone money, and most of all, time.

im in the middle of a complete engine build, nothing fancy, just a reman block on this basturd

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Finally got to spend some time on the cab this evening. Got all the parts that had been stripped out of the cab off the floor behind the cab, and out of the cab. Was about to head to the house, was looking at where to cut what to remove the back wall... after a few minutes I said 'WTF... here goes nothing' and grabbed the sawzall.

Lends a whole new meaning to the term 'Separation anxiety'.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Picked up a spot weld cutter on Saturday morning. Was off work Monday night so I had a chance to start removing the left over ends of the back cab corners.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Not much time over the past few days to do anything. Did get new cutting tips for the spot weld cutter today. But I'm off now, until Monday night.

I'm somewhat related news, I seem to have a trade deal worked out, my F350 dually cab n chassis truck for a single wheel truck with the 7.3 diesel, but 6spd manual trans instead of the duallys auto. Only catch is that it's 150 miles away, and I'm leary of hauling my dually (9k lbs) on my bumper pull trailer behind my severely rust compromised F250. And then hauling back the new truck, which would be only slightly lighter. If I can make the trip with out folding the frame in half, I'll count myself lucky.

The new truck will likely donate it's drivetrain and all wiring to the project truck, including the front half of the frame. The back half of the frame will be used to replace the F250's rusty frame. In the end, I'll have the project truck crew extended cab short bed with 7.3/6spd/4x4, and my current F250 extended cab short bed 7.3/6spd/ 4x4. And a few spare parts... extra set of axles, a long bed (from the new truck) to use as patch panels, a rusty extended cab, and some other odds and ends I can sell for extra cash...

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Even a blind hog runs on to an accorn once in a while, as the phrase goes... I tried talking my stingey FIL out of one of the gooseneck hitches he has so I could borrow my cousins trailer, no dice. Buddy stopped by the house today... 'Heard you were looking for a hitch'... brand new DrawTite of the exact model I need... $100. SOLD!!!! He got it in trade deal a few years ago... I'm putting it on my truck in the morning!

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hitch installed, trailer borrowed, sitting in the driveway. Couple pre-trip items to check on my tow truck, but will get the dually loaded tomorrow evening, ready for Thursday A.M. departure. Hope all goes well, about 160 miles one way, likely be about 4 hours drive, due to WV hills and narrow roads. Poor Lil Red (F250) is gonna get a workout, hauling the 24' GN with its larger siblings loaded.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Long trip... not home yet, pulled over so momma can feed the baby, but about 45 minutes from home. Trip down went well, gooseneck trailer pulls great despite the heavy loads. New owner of the dually is happy, and I can see lots of parts I need in the new truck...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Made it home the other night, got unloaded the next day. New truck starts easy... once batteries are charged! 4" straight piped exhaust sounds good! Power windows and locks work, power mirrors mostly work. Interior is really dirty, but in good shape.

Still need to return the trailer, but been working 12+ hours a night, and a few hours of sleep, not much time for anything else.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yesterday was a busy day. Got home from work about 8am, and started getting the motor/trans/transfer out of the crew cab chassis, and drug it down to the field behind the house. It's been getting rather cluttered with junk around the barn, and the wife makes it a point to tell me every chance she gets.

Took the trailer back to its storage location.

Worked on the crew cab for an hour or so, drilling spot welds. Right rocker panel is off, it needed replaced any way, and the back edge of the floor pan is now separated where the seam between the crew cab floor and extended cab floor will meet.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Got to the back field today with a cordless drill, sawzall, and as many batteries as I could find... And chopped the donor extended cab into two pieces. Went surprisingly easy, separating it at the seam in the front floor foot well. I cut thru the inner and outer rocker panels in line with that, and cut the roof just behind the windshield.

Hauled it up to the barn with the tractor, and wiggled it into the increasingly crowded barn. Did some measuring off the crew cab, and my other extended cab, to establish a base line for measurements to figure out exactly where it will get cut.

Because I have cut the floor, rocker panels, and roof much longer than needed, it will be trimmed back to fit. I started that by removing the outter rocker panels. To do so, I rolled the cab section onto its back wall, making it easier to work on, as well as give me a chance to get a good look at the amount of rust damage that will need dealt with... more than I had hoped, but since I only have $100 in the white cab anyway, I'm not gonna complain... too much.

Attachments

Reactions: SuperCrutyPS
21 - 40 of 79 Posts