Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed a random, short increase in rpm during idle and a sudden "fall on it's face" half way through 2nd gear in WOT. Boost was around 8psi with EGT's slowing climbing to 800 while accelerating up to 60mph at WOT. So I knew I was getting fuel, transmission wasn't slipping since it would shift on command and temperatures and fluid level were good. Buzz test was ok with no obvious difference between injectors.

Scanner used:
OBDLinkLX bluetooth adapter with Car Gauge Pro app on my android phone.

Did a quick scan and found P1298.
Font Screenshot Multimedia Number Darkness

Truck would start right up and idle ok with the random rpm increase while in Park.

So first I removed the IDM and gave it a little shake and all seemed good. Got it on the work bench and inspected the pins. Factory grease was on the pins as well as the expected corrosion.

Musical instrument Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Office equipment

Backside where you can see where the water runs.

Rectangle Gas Composite material Concrete Metal

Grabbed my fancy garage tooth brush and some IPA/rubbing alcohol 70% is what I had. A little squirt on the brush and some scrubbing and wiping and ended up getting everything off. IPA is safe for electronics. Stop using brake cleaner and your girlfriends finger nail polish remover.

Musical instrument Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

Then I went to the harness connection and gave it a shot of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. Scrubbed it and let it dry.

After reassembly I did another buzz test and everything sounded stronger than before. Did a quick drive and boost was back up over 15+ psi during 75% acceleration and would actually pull through each gear. Would hit 20+ psi during WOT but it wasn't necessary to check after such a big difference.

Hope this helps someone. Harness checks are posted by @Patrick Feeley if you search this sub forum and fortunately it didn't come to that.

Remember these trucks are 25+ years old and electrical connections will need attention. I got 320k miles and credit it's condition to Tony Wildman tunes and driving it hard at times to keep everything moving like it should.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Nice! Checking/cleaning the connections is always a good first step. Doing full-blown harness check would be time consuming. Cheers!

Reactions: White95f250

·
Premium Member
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice! Checking/cleaning the connections is always a good first step. Doing full-blown harness check would be time consuming. Cheers!
I save the detailed stuff for work and the race truck. If I treat my 7.3 to this luxury then i'll just find more issues. Issues are best left alone until they become a major problem right? 🤣

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Yeah, that kind of the way I feel with my 97's reference voltage reading about half of what it should be via Forscan Lite (about 2.5V). I checked the reference voltage at the ICP with a DVOM and got 5V and with the truck running fine, I'm not about to pull stuff apart! Cheers!

Reactions: White95f250
1 - 4 of 4 Posts