Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just driving to get an inspection yesterday, and while pulling away from a hillstart, there was a grinding bang and I lost oil pressure. Leaking oil and coolant ensued, it really made my day.
Pulled the front cover today to find the gerotor oil pump in a dozen pieces and a split halfway up the front cover casting.
Any ideas what could have caused this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
That is an unfortunate failure -- look for "foreign material" in the debris -- usually a lifter roller needle bearing -- also pull the relief valve and inspect there for debris -- would be tempted to use a magnet in the oil pan to see if I could find any evidence of a roller bearing in there -- would want to pull the oil filter base and clean there in case the pump spit junk up into the filter area

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
^^^ very high probability that what he said is your problem. The georotor pumps don't magically explode for no reason. Something passed through it. Likely a roller bearing from a lifter.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
What these guys said already. My bet is needle bearings from a lifter. I have experienced it first hand. Thats how I ended up with a new engine. Check for signs of needle bearings in the oil pan and check the relief valve with a magnet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Pulled these out of mine... 20171215_214528.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see, I didn't realize the lifters were a common culprit of this sort of failure. So I've just dropped the oil pan, pulled the filter base, and the relief valve. All were clean. I couldn't even find a piece of anything foreign amongst the oil pump pieces. Very strange. I don't suppose there's any way to check the lifters short of pulling the heads...?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Nope, not that im aware of. Its both good and bad that you didn't find anything I suppose. If you pull the pump gear out do you see impressions in it that indicates something went through it?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Like this...

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
Is your truck a manual transmission? I have read about people with manuals having issues with pumps due to to much crankshaft end play. At least that's what they blamed it on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Strangely, not much damage aside from being shattered. A few nicks I tried to show in the photo, but no sign of what made them.
Not a manual trans either, I've got the 5R110W 5 speed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Difficult to tell which nicks were there before or after the failure. Those pumps usually don't fail unless something gets inside

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Check the pickup tube screen for debris

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Chunks tend to get wedged in the corners, push in on the screen and bang the side of the tube with a wrench or screw driver ...well whatever you have handy

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Strangely, not much damage aside from being shattered. A few nicks I tried to show in the photo, but no sign of what made them.

Not a manual trans either, I've got the 5R110W 5 speed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I'm too new to post a link on here, but if you search "broken low pressure pump inner gear"
there is a thread full of people who spontaneously broke their oil pumps too, although none of them seem to be quite as shattered as mine. No definitive culprits found, but a lot of speculation towards aftermarket harmonic balancers, although mine is stock.

My new pump and front cover arrive tomorrow, so we'll see what other problems arise...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back in business!
Shiny new front cover and oil pump are in, and all is well. It even came with a new water pump.
Been running well for 2 days now, so hopefully no more rapid unscheduled disassemblies.
It turns out that you can't get an oil pump on over the old wear sleeve though, so that meant yet another trip to the parts store.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lighting does strike twice!
It would seem that I spoke too soon last time. While I was driving along minding my own business, up flashes the red engine light and the motor stops. Much less dramatic than last time, no bangs, no fluid leaks. But I pulled the balancer and pump cover off, and sure enough, there was the gerotor in pieces, just as if I hadn't changed it 50 miles ago. There has to be something more sinister afoot than spontaneously exploding oil pumps, any ideas?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Tough break man, that does indeed suck. I however can't offer any helpful input, in here to see what you end up finding this time.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts