Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Exhaust wrap on intercooler piping and intake??

Tags
diy intake
22K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  CSIPSD 
#1 ·
I was thinking of wrapping the nonfoiled pipe that goes from intercooler to intake but touched the pipe after running for a while and dont think it gets too hot at all. Will it make a performance diffrence if i do? I also had a brand new 45degree 4 inch exhast pipe and was thinking of swapping that with the stock black rubber hose and wrapping it aswell since i already have the 6637. Let me know what you guys think cause I honestly wont even bother if its not going to make a diffrence at all.

#4 ·
probably not gonna make that much of a difference. If you haven't done the zoodad mod I would suggest doing that, but doubt heat wrap on anything is gonna give you any noticeable gains. But you never know, might drop egt's a little, but prob no performance gains. You could do it and report what you find out if you can get the heat wrap real cheap.

#5 · (Edited)
The only thing you should be insulating is the exhaust side of the engine, preferably ceramic coated as it holds in the heat best. Insulating on the intake side, and that includes the intercooler piping, should not be insulated. That's why aluminum is used, it dissipates heat faster then steel. The warmer the air going into the engine the less dense it is a thus the less horsepower it will make.

#9 ·
The only thing you should be insulating is the exhaust side of the engine, preferably ceramic coated as it holds in the heat best. Insulating on the intake side, and that includes the intercooler piping, should not be insulated. That's why aluminum is used, it dissipates heat faster then steel. The warmer the air going into the engine the less dense it is a thus the less horsepower it will make.
Incorrect...

While there are some early 99 trucks with aluminum IC pipes from that point to current they are steel.

#6 ·
Also, the only time the intercooler piping is going to heat up is when the turbo is producing boost, the higher the boost the hotter the air. If you installed temperature gauges in the piping going to and from the intercooler you would be surprised how hot twenty or twenty five pounds of boosted air is!

#7 ·
So, will insulating the exhaust make more horsepower? Yes. Will you feel it? I really don't think so. Do it to help keep under hood temperatures lower so the electronics live longer.

#10 ·
Incorrect...

While there are some early 99 trucks with aluminum IC pipes from that point to current they are steel
No Kidding? They are steel? Hmm, is there any benefit to steel? I have an early and they are aluminum. I thought they were all aluminum.

#12 ·
The steel is stronger, and easier to work with. There is no down side to the steel pipes, no upside to the aluminum.

There were some issues and continue to pop up from time to time of the IC tubes getting a hole in them from the power steering pump line.

#11 ·
Me too. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.