Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been seeing that your exhaust tip plays a role in the tone of your exhaust. How much does it affect it, and is it going to be noticeable over the noise with a straight piped exhaust. Next question, what is the difference in tones that you get with the different tips, I would think bigger tip = deeper, but I don't know.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
i guess if you get a monster tip it will act as a megaphone! but idk, i didnt notice with mine.... i have a 5" exhaust with the muff and got the 5 to 6" double walled tip from mbrp

·
Registered
2,005 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
Tips do not do anything to the sound or tone.
thats a lie....the bigger the tip it does act like a Megaphone. I had my exhaust running inside of my tip before and it didn't change anything from the 4-5" to the 4-6" tip....I cut the exhaust and welded the tip on and its quite a bit louder and deeper. it sounds way better.

·
Registered
771 Posts
True... I think that it adds a little to the sound.

·
Registered
275 Posts
From my experience working at a muffler shop the bigger and longer the tip the deeper and louder the sound.

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
Well hot rod! You really know your stuff. Sorry you feel that way, I should have asked you first before I posted my opinion. Use a sound meter before and after the tip is removed then get back to me.

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
Well hot rod! You really know your stuff. Sorry you feel that way, I should have asked you first before I posted my opinion. Use a sound meter before and after the tip is removed then get back to me.
WOW...I struck a nerve...didn't mean to offend you. I am just talking from experience as well as knowledge gained since I know most of the guys in the industry. If you put a sound meter up to you mouth, and up to the end of rolled up paper the meter reads the same...but stand 20 ft away with the same meter and it reads different...Its the same idea with exhaust tips...

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
I did not realize that "knowing MOST of the GUYS in the industry" would make you an expert. I still disagree, sorry. That is like me saying since I know most of the plumbers I know everything about plumbing-stupid!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Im not trying to cross words with anyone and argue, but I would have to say that it is comparable to putting an echo tip on a gasser... I believe there is a difference, nothing rediculous, but especially if you are using the entire length of the tip.

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
Its not that I know the guys...its Im the idiot who asks 10 million questions and absorb the information like a sponge...it has to do with amplification of sound waves...I don't expect you to change your mind just because one person says so, but if you want to doubt, test it and if I am wrong come back and rub it in my face, but I know I am not.

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
Dunesrunner is right. I went from a 3.5in straight pipe with a 3.5in tip to a 3.5 in straight pipe with a 5 in tip. with the 3.5 the truck was loud with a cackle. With the 5in tip the truck has a very deep throaty tone. I worked at a muffler shop for 2 years. The Bigger diameter the tip the deeper the tone will be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts