Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok does anyone know where you can order one of these for 3.5" pipe? I have searched harbor frieght, carquest, autozone, napa, mufflershop.com, all they have is up to 3.25" or smaller.

For the life of me I can not get my delete pipe far enough into the rear pipe to get a good clamp (heat also wouldnt work by itself). It stays in for a couple of days then works it way out. I have tried WD-40 and vasoline to reduce friction while pounding the every living sh*t out of the bracket to slide the rear section farther forward. No luck.:doh:

Every muffler shop tells me they have to remove the back section completely (bout 100 bucks) to flair out the tailpipe to allow it to slip in easier. there has got to be a tool out there cheaper than that (i figure i will use this more than once)

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I think i would just weld it in. or maybe get a sleave style clamp.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont want to weld it since it is for my DPF and should I have to put it back on I dont want the hassle of cutting and welding it on. Thought about a sleeve but its not that it is too short it just the female end needs to be re-shaped. thanks it might end up coming to that though

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
When I do the installs, I use a ratchet type tiedown to pull the tailpipe forward as I wiggle the joint up and down. This walks the two pipes together, in a few cases I've had to add a little heat at the same time. The ratchet strap keeps steady pressure like an extra set of very stong hands. As the pipes walk together, just keep tightening the ratchet strap. You shouldn't need to expand the pipe if you didn't crush to far already with the clamp, even then the constant pressure and heat should still get it back together.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I do the installs, I use a ratchet type tiedown to pull the tailpipe forward as I wiggle the joint up and down. This walks the two pipes together, in a few cases I've had to add a little heat at the same time. The ratchet strap keeps steady pressure like an extra set of very stong hands. As the pipes walk together, just keep tightening the ratchet strap. You shouldn't need to expand the pipe if you didn't crush to far already with the clamp, even then the constant pressure and heat should still get it back together.
Never thought about that, will give that a try this afternoon:thumb:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hey that ratchet style strap idea worked great (i used a come-a-long), no heat needed just attached to my leaf spring, put gentle pressure on it and in she went. Thank for the help.:thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts