Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. 'Trying' to do some slight mods to my truck on a BUDGET. Can I get away with just buying a performance muffler to replace the factory one? After exhaust I am going to put the WW2 on and I'm concerned about the supposedly restrictive 3.5" stock down pipe. So, do I just man up and spend the $$ on a 4" or 5" kit? Or will keeping it simple (cheap) have the airflow required to hold up to the increased boost in the future. I know this sounds like a topic played out a million times before but, I've been looking and can't find the ' to the point' answers I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance, any suggestion is helpful.

· Registered
6,170 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the stock exhaust on a 7.3 Superduty. Delete the muffler and it flows MORE then enough for the stock injectors.

That being said... You can get a full turbo back system for less then $300 shipped... It will sound better and look better.

Up to you.

· Registered
6,125 Posts
diamond eye 4 inch from alligator performance is 230-260.

· Registered
3,437 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the stock exhaust on a 7.3 Superduty. Delete the muffler and it flows MORE then enough for the stock injectors.

That being said... You can get a full turbo back system for less then $300 shipped... It will sound better and look better.

Up to you.
X2

Unless you're 400+ hp the stock exhaust is fine if straight piped... ditch the stock muffler weld in 3.5" straight pipe. Cheap and easy. I do it myself for free with scrap pipe or a shop might do it for as little as $50.

Next cheap mod... DIY intake/6637 air filter. First mod I do when I get a new 7.3...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all the input! If I stay with stock and delete the muffler, would a resonator help quite it down a little? While still allowing the truck to breathe.

· Registered
1,896 Posts
Xx...what are you tryn to accomplish? You want the motor to breathe, so let it breathe. The turbo acts like a muffler, so really, the only time it gets louder then normal, with muffler out, is when your "on it".

· Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,196 Posts
Honestly it's not a whole lot louder, nothing like taking the mufflers off a gasser, not even close. I'm in my truck alot for work and make import phone calls while driving and it's no problem at all.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow really? I guess it's tough to tell just watching videos on YouTube. Where the camera is a foot away from the exhaust tip. Everything sounds loud as hell.

· Registered
764 Posts
Many states recognize a turbo as a muffling device as well as a spark arrestor. It will be louder with no muffler. But not obnoxious like you would think. Turbo spools faster and has a very sexy exhaust note in my book. Most of the time my rear passenger window is cracked because I love hearing the sound echo off of gaurdrails and curbs.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome! I think I will try it then. Save money now and maybe in the future go with a kit. Thanks so much for the straight up answers! Very helpful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.