Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 3" down pipe to a 3 1/2" exhaust.

I want to put a single stack on, and am curious as to if I should just add the stack to the current exhaust, or if it is beneficial enough to replace it with a 4" down pipe and 4" exhaust all the way back.

thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
I had same exhaust as you have, went to dual stacks tho, but I ordered 4" in with 5" stacks. Had to get a reducer to make it all fit correctly. You can just get the stack kit and it comes with everything to install on your current set up. I would say just add the kit to your current set up. Pending how large your stack is you will get enough tone out of it to not worry about the dp back

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
3,006 Posts
Largest DP that will fit is 3" unless you do some serious modding to your firewall. Not to mention fittment between trans and tunnel...

I would recommend keeping your DP and adding a 5" single stack kit. You can find them from the vendors here on the ORG, or on EBay. Diamond Eye makes a nice kit, very economical. I personally don't care for the stacks on my truck, felt I limited the use of my bed...

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
F trying to find a reducer lol I went to pep boys and bought a exhaust tip and welded that on to make a reducer lol

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
hell when i got my stack kit i still needed a reducer, i called paul over at complete performance and he sent it to me with in a couple days

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I want to put on a 7" x 48" matte black miter cut stack. I could be wrong but I think it will be cheapest to go to my local exhaust shop, have them fab me a single 4" DP back pipe and order a 4" 90 (or have the exhaust shop bend one) and a 5" id to 4" id reducer and install it myself.

I want it to top off just above the cab, or be flush with the cab. I measured last night and 48" is a couple inches above the cab.

I've found one stack that seems to be what I am looking for, has anyone had any experience with this company or there tips? (SBS Diesel - link below)

Black Denim Miter Cut Stacks Black Denim truck stacks [BDMC] - $89.00 : SBS Diesel Performance Exhaust, Extreme SBS Diesel Performance Exhaust Parts & Stacks

What is the best way to cut the hole in the bed? Do they make a hole saw big enough? What size hole do i need? Whats the best way to mount the stack? I've never done this before so any info will help!

Is there a better company to order the stack from? Will I have problems with rust going with a matte black stack?

MBPR has one but its only 36". is this a better product than the SBS stack? Do they make a 48"?

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
They make a hole saw bit big enough but when I cut my hole it ate the bit, gonna take it back to home depot and get another to replace it, get a bit atleast 1" bigger than your stack or stack kit and run it directly above the exhaust routing under the bed, there is heat shield directly above it so just unscrew that and cut your hole. I used a 36" stack on mine it is almost level with my roof. Look at Sig

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
go with 4" from the DP back thats all you need

·
Registered
256 Posts
i installed a 3inch DP ran the stock exhaust just cut out the muffler and cat then installed a 5 inch mitre stacks into a 4 inch just got a reducer to fit it in to my exhaust and it sounds amazing...everyone loves the sound of my truck and you can hear me coming or leaving very well...my truck is a single cab short bed but i can roll my windows up and go down the interstate and its not loud inside at all to me or my wife

1 - 10 of 10 Posts