Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about exhaust sound...

I am in the process of flushing my coolant, and while my truck is idling to circulate fluids I am walking around doing other things. I prop a piece of pvc between the seat and the skinny pedal to get it running at around 1400 rpm :)dunno:) so it circulates faster and warms up a bit faster.

Any way, I walked past the exhaust last night and noticed a hissing sound coming out of the tail pipe. Nothing of the sort in the engine bay or under the truck. I took two video (crappy, herk-jerky cell phone type); one at 1400 rpm and one at 2000 rpm....so just close your eyes and listen, or you might puke :D

1400 rpm (link probably):

2000 rpm:

Does this sound normal? If not, what could it be?

Thanks,

MT

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
hissing from the exhaust is normal. it's what's called the hairdryer sound.

if you get hissing from the back of the motor then it could be blown up pipes.

sounds like you're okay.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hissing from the exhaust is normal. it's what's called the hairdryer sound.

if you get hissing from the back of the motor then it could be blown up pipes.

sounds like you're okay.
Thanks. I just wasn't sure if that's the way they all sound. From 50 ft. away at the house, the "hairdryer" is all I hear....although to me it sounds more like a clothes dryer vent on the outside of a house.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine is the same way. I have the stock exhaust though, which I believe makes a louder hairdryer noise.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I don't have one of those....got a write up for installing? Maybe pictures?

Is it an actual switch?
Iyou google "high idle mod" on this forum you will find a write up for how to wire it into your upfitter switches if you have them. Just a couple wires to connect under your dash and thats it. You just have to engage your ebrake and flip whichever upfitter you tie into and the truck will idle up to 1200rpm.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iyou google "high idle mod" on this forum you will find a write up for how to wire it into your upfitter switches if you have them. Just a couple wires to connect under your dash and thats it. You just have to engage your ebrake and flip whichever upfitter you tie into and the truck will idle up to 1200rpm.
That is awesome! The truck is still pretty new to me, and I had thought about what those switches were for at one point....now I gotta find other things for the remaining switches!!!!

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...dle-mod-2.html

Here's a link for the mod
and thanks for the link.

:drinking3:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
High idle upfitter switch wiring, check. It took longer to drain the cooling system than to do the switch wiring.

:)

High idle mod DEFINITELY > PVC pipe! !!!

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Good enough till you can get butt connectors and heat shrink

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
That is awesome! The truck is still pretty new to me, and I had thought about what those switches were for at one point....now I gotta find other things for the remaining switches!!!!

and thanks for the link.

:drinking3:
No problems.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts