1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
straight pipe it or get a new exhaust

·
Registered
854 Posts
Take the turbo off and straight pipe.... Absolutely no restriction then! :thumb:

Seriously though, on your truck trash the cat and muffler and run a 3" downpipe and 4"straight pipe....The dowpipe is aggravating to install, but once you remove the stock one you'll see how restrictive it is

·
Registered
854 Posts
Probably be best to talk to one of the vendors here on the site.... Gus from Farmboy Diesel is a cool guy to talk to and he has some budget deals usually.

I'd be careful buying from any ol' Joe Schmoe website. I had some major problems buying my exhaust from rpm outlet.... Took almost 3 months to get my sh*t....

Can't go wrong with the site vendors though

·
Registered
854 Posts
He's probably better off starting with updating the downpipe....

Turbo work usually isn't constituted until the injectors are updated.....in an OBS anyways

·
Registered
959 Posts
bigger exhaust housing for your turbo
Definitely NOT a bigger turbine housing on a '94-'97. If anything especially with stock injectors going to a smaller like a .84 would be the best for performance. With some very mild injectors a 1.0 housing.

Best things for flow is a down pipe and exhaust. I would recomend Hypermax for the down pipe because it starts at 3" then after the firewall goes to 3.5 and has a 3.5" slip on the end so you just put a 3.5-4" adaptor on it and then you are 4" all the way out. And it's only like $130 which is one of the cheaper ones you can get! 4" exhaust you can either build your own or buy it. Either way works fine.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Id email gus if i were you. i currently am working with him on getting me a new exhaust.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Definitely NOT a bigger turbine housing on a '94-'97.
i agree with gts. the OBS trucks come with a 1.15 housing stock. man i hate to think of the lag with something bigger

the down pipe would be a very good place to start then gut the cat.the stock exhaust is good enough for stock to stage1 injetors on the OBS trucks.not like the SD.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you're going to do the downpipe, reach in and rip the EBPV butterfly out of the turbo, too (well, it's not that simple). Good for another 50* - 75* drop in EGT just by doing that.
Darn things don't work worth a hoot anyway...

·
Registered
642 Posts
What exactly is the EBPV and how do I take that out and whats that hurt?

·
Registered
419 Posts
The EBPV is the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve, computer reads input from a sensor to close the valve when cold to speed up warm-up. They are more of a nuisance than anything.
First thing I always do is unplug it so it stays open.
Anyway, with the down pipe off, if you look in the exhaust side of the turbo you will see the disk held in place on a vertical shaft with 2 rivets. I take a Dremel tool with small cut-off wheel and cut/grind the head off the rivets (stuff rags in behind the disk or use a vacuum so as not to get the shavings in the turbine wheel!) then pry the disk off the shaft and remove.
When that's done you should be able to slide the shaft down (it can only go down) but it won't come all the way out without cutting the shaft in half.
When that's out, use a freeze plug, or I use a carriage bolt (round head in exhaust part, nut under) and tighten it down to plug the hole.
Done.
I was surprised as to how much that disk and shaft actually restrict exhaust flow.
It's easier to do the above with the EBPV section of the turbo on a work bench, but it's more work getting that part off than to do as I described in the first place.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts