Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fixing to go around 3000 miles round trip on a hunting trip. I was wandering what would help me get better fuel mileage exhaust or a chip? If it is a chip would it be better to get the exhaust first even if the chip would get me better fuel mileage? Thank for the help.

·
Registered
692 Posts
i dont know if you will notice much of a difference either way, but your stock exhaust is big enough to flow prettty decent if you just gut/get rid of the muffler. there is some gains with a chip according to most people, but you have to keep your foot out of it and keep your speed down. and either way there will be modest gains.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Gauges...

Otherwise dont.

·
Registered
692 Posts
he was saying dont get a chip unless you have gauges first to monitor your temps

·
Registered
4 Posts
I knew what he was getting at, someone else reading this thread may not have though. That was my only reason for saying something.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok will I see any performance and fuel economy with a exhaust? Diamond eye or MBRP exhaust?

·
Registered
692 Posts
not really

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
^^^^ Your answer was little to no help. Perhaps you could elaborate some more?

Acually its of great help...

Gauges should be the first mod. PERIOD.

"hey guys I installed my super cool intake! did it help any"

I DONT KNOW, MAYBE YOU SHOULD INSTALL SOME GAUGES TO WATCH THE 10k motor you have in your truck...

I knew what he was getting at, someone else reading this thread may not have though. That was my only reason for saying something.

Thanks Dad...;)

ok will I see any performance and fuel economy with a exhaust? Diamond eye or MBRP exhaust?
No.

The factory exhaust is well matched to the factory PCM calibrations. Just like the intake is...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CSIPSD would you suggest to just do a muffler delete on my truck?

·
Registered
805 Posts
For a good example of somethign someone has done rather than people just saying yes and no to your answers....

My truck came with a superchips programer (i advise agains this mod and there are thrads you can read to find a better chip) also had 4" exhaust with a muffler, (basically like stock exhaust but a little bigger) and also had the Ford AIS intake system.

I straight piped my exhaust (can do this on stock exhaust also) and i put in a 6637 intake, both the 6637 and Ford AIS flow A LOT better than stock.

I now get 18 MPG rather than 16 MPG.

So if you have compleetly stock exhaust, YES a free flowing straight piped 4" system will flow much better than stock which will potentially incrase your MPG if you can keep your foot out of it once you hear how it sounds!

If you chip it, guages are a must. If you dont then dont worry about it unless you like the extra security but a stock programed 7.3 should not get close to hot enough to ruin anything.

Take everyhting you hear on here with a grain of salt, some people are grumpy ars holes and just love to build their post count. When you find somethign that sounds good, research it to death on Google, and base your opinions off more than one site. No one is correct 100% of the time.
And im just telling you about my real world experience that i saw in person, dont expect your rig to do the exact same thing. Eveyones trucks are different are there are too many variables to tell you exactly what will work and what wont.

Hope some of this info helps.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For a good example of somethign someone has done rather than people just saying yes and no to your answers....

My truck came with a superchips programer (i advise agains this mod and there are thrads you can read to find a better chip) also had 4" exhaust with a muffler, (basically like stock exhaust but a little bigger) and also had the Ford AIS intake system.

I straight piped my exhaust (can do this on stock exhaust also) and i put in a 6637 intake, both the 6637 and Ford AIS flow A LOT better than stock.

So if you have compleetly stock exhaust, YES a free flowing straight piped 4" system will flow much better than stock which will potentially incrase your MPG if you can keep your foot out of it once you hear how it sounds!

If you chip it, guages are a must. If you dont then dont worry about it unless you like the extra security but a stock programed 7.3 should not get close to hot enough to ruin anything.

Take everyhting you hear on here with a grain of salt, some people are grumpy ars holes and just love to build their post count. When you find somethign that sounds good, research it to death on Google, and base your opinions off more than one site. No one is correct 100% of the time.
And im just telling you about my real world experience that i saw in person, dont expect your rig to do the exact same thing. Eveyones trucks are different are there are too many variables to tell you exactly what will work and what wont.

thanks man I already get around 20.5 mpg with my truck just want a little better. about how much would it cost for a muffler delete for a stock exhaust pipe? also is there any difference in a 4in aftermarket exhaust and oem. if both have the muffler deleted?

·
Registered
692 Posts
thanks man I already get around 20.5 mpg with my truck just want a little better.
I dont think you are going to do any better than that! :laugh:

about how much would it cost for a muffler delete for a stock exhaust pipe? also is there any difference in a 4in aftermarket exhaust and oem. if both have the muffler deleted?
Yes it will flow better, but you wont notice any real gains until you start modding it with bigger injectors/turbo ect. except it will probly sound better

·
Registered
692 Posts
oops...and they can be had for around $300

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
eventually I will get a chip is that one mod you were talking about when you would see real gains with a 4in over stock with no muffler?

·
Registered
692 Posts
not really i was talking about big injectors big turbos big oil ect. your stock exhaust without the muffler should not hold it back at all with just a chip

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
ok thank you sorry I do have another question I hope can be answered is what is the egt difference from a oem no muffler exhaust and a 4in exhaust no muffler?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts

LOL... Yup, thats me, boosting my post count...

How many of these trucks have you owned? Built?

I'm sorry if I dont go out and fill the guys head with 40hp for an intake and 60hp for an exhaust and 140hp for a chip for a 700hp stock injectored truck...

Not going to notice one bit of differance between a stock exhaust and a 4" other then sound... Gut the muffler off it and you have yourself a nice free flowing exhaust system...

thanks man I already get around 20.5 mpg with my truck just want a little better. about how much would it cost for a muffler delete for a stock exhaust pipe? also is there any difference in a 4in aftermarket exhaust and oem. if both have the muffler deleted?

ok thank you sorry I do have another question I hope can be answered is what is the egt difference from a oem no muffler exhaust and a 4in exhaust no muffler?
Little if anything. You likely would not see it on the gauge.

·
Registered
692 Posts

I dont know, but once again on a stock truck it wont be much if any. now if you are pushing 500hp it is a different game.

·
Registered
692 Posts
oops sorry csipsd, I didnt notice you already answered his question :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts