Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is a 97 f350 regular cab, with a straight pipe before the wheel. On cold mornings my exhaust makes a high pitched deafingly loud noise. When I hit the throttle, it happens for maybe a couple seconds but it appends often sometimes up to a half hour. What is noise?
Thanks,
Wade

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
I would venture to say that it is your EBPV closing to help warm up the truck. When the PCM sees that you want to drive it will normally decide to open the valve to allow proper exhaust flow through the turbo. Sometimes it doesn't if the motor is still too cold. Sometimes it doesn't and the truck is stuck till it does.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would venture to say that it is your EBPV closing to help warm up the truck. When the PCM sees that you want to drive it will normally decide to open the valve to allow proper exhaust flow through the turbo. Sometimes it doesn't if the motor is still too cold. Sometimes it doesn't and the truck is stuck till it does.
I have heard this before, thank you for the reply. Do I need to let it warm up longer or does something need to be replaced?

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
In NJ I'd let her go at least 10 minutes before asking her to move. Running your block heater will speed things up but it only needs to run a couple of hours before you plan on starting the truck. Not all night. Get a heavy duty outlet timer and set it to come on 2-4 hours before you start your day. Don't forget your Power Service (white bottle) at every fill up. Do not trust that the fueling station is putting in the correct winter additives.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In NJ I'd let her go at least 10 minutes before asking her to move. Running your block heater will speed things up but it only needs to run a couple of hours before you plan on starting the truck. Not all night. Get a heavy duty outlet timer and set it to come on 2-4 hours before you start your day. Don't forget your Power Service (white bottle) at every fill up. Do not trust that the fueling station is putting in the correct winter additives.
Did every obs come with a block heater? I haven't located mine. As far a the additive, I'm not worried we own the stations that I fill up at and the mixture is correct, I should get some Power Service or Diesel 911 to put in my toolbox for out of state fill ups.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I _believe_ they did but Frank or Terry would know that better then me. If you can get under your truck look above the oil filter and that is where the bock heater is. Locate the wire coming off the heater and follow that to where the plug is. Looks like this when out of the truck.

Ford 7.3 Diesel Powerstroke 1000w Engine Block Heater 95-03 F350 F250 Excursion on eBay!
Thank you very much, I'll take a look for it when I get out to my truck. I've been looking to far forward closer to the radiator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts