Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I am new to the powerstroke forum and to the powerstroke world! I previously had a holy grail 12 valve but just got sick of fixing all the typical dodge problems. I was on the cummins forum quite a bit so I'm pretty familiar with the search function and all that good stuff!

So onto my question! My 12 valve had a 5 inch straight pipe which got really old quick. Obviously the cummins are normally a little louder than these trucks so my question is how loud is a 4" turbo back straight pipe in the cab compared to stock? I can tolerate a little noise but the cummins had an unbearable drone, especially when you got running 75 on the interstate. 4:10 gears didn't help matters any either.

Also what other mods would be good maybe? Especially for mpg's. I know the egr is a huge issue but when I get the money I'm going to totally bulletproof it, egr delete, oil cooler and all. So I'm gonna put off on it for now.

So now that you've read all what I had to say, I'd really like what everyone in the 6.0 world has to say! :haha:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Mine is straight and I love it!! Sounds like a jet outside the truck but no cab noise running down the highway till u get on it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
I win....
1,327 Posts
My 35's make more noise than the pipe. Mine dumps in front of the passenger rear tire.
It makes one hell of a racket when you jump on it. But its more than tolerable at regular driving speeds.

Ditch the cat and the muffler. Open her up and let her breath!!!

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I know several guys with straight-piped 6.0's, and they're actually pretty quiet (aside from the turbo whistle) under normal conditions. Now when you let 'em breath... :evillol:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've owned 2 03 commonrails and I guarentee if you straight pipe the Ford it wont be anything like a straight piped cummins.

Best part is zero drone on a 6.0 but nice turbo whistle and alittle grunt in the 2500-3200 rpm range.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I cut my straight pipe off and threw it in the scrap pile, put a silverline muffler on it and its 1000% better

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I have a straight pipe with a 4 inch cat back w/o muffler. I love the sound of my exhaust. I can really hear the turbo. Sounds like a jet. Mine is not loud unless I get on it, to me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've had stock exhaust, mbrp turbo back with and without muffler. without the muffler hands down. very tolerable until you get on it. noise will not be an issue under normal driving conditions.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the opinions guys looks like 4" straight pipe it is!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thanks for all the opinions guys looks like 4" straight pipe it is!
I really believe u will enjoy it!! We're are u ordering from?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have a shop around here that's well known for anything diesel performance so im gonna head down there and see what they have, I can probably get it a little cheaper cause there's no shipping. I might see (bear with me on this) if they have a used tuner like a superchip for the time being

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I was to get it online where a good place?

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Alligator Diesel Performance

Talk to Bryan and tell him Eli sent you!
Those guys are knowledgable and have the Best prices:thumb:
just ask for a price on the phone... not just some internet price

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I'd put a muffler on... All personal preference though! If you came from a cummins and were annoyed with the sound after a while, I bet you'd get a little annoyed after a while with a straight pipe. I'd try a muffler first and then you could cut out the muffler if you didn't like it? Or vice versa I suppose!

·
Registered
419 Posts
its hard to compare the cummins sound to a powerstroke.... the cummins is a constant "growl" where the straight piped 6.0's are the jet sound until what... 80% throttle.. then sounds like a wide open crackle of something awesome... but anyways i run a mbrp 4" straight pipe from the turbo and the sound is 100% controllable

on the other hand i did install the pipe before anything else.. and i lost mileage.. but with everything i got in my sig i'm getting around 17-18 mpgs now.. 12 when i bought it stock with 315's

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How bad would it go down if I straight piped it? I get 17-18 now all stock.

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Lol you only lose mpg cuz the sound is so addicting haha

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts