Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently done the Bullet Proof oil cooler retrofit on my 6.0 Ford diesel. Everything came out great except I now have what sounds like a slight pressurized sounding hiss coming from the passenger side of the motor. My eyes also start to burn a little when I'm trying to isolate where the hiss is coming from. Is it possible that I may have an exhaust leak and, if so, is there a test that I can perform to confirm this suspicion?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
You have an exhaust leak, very common on rebuilds. Loosen your turbo clamps, mounting bolts and realign. The clamp itself will not pull the connection together. Your flex joint could be cracked also.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need a little more help

I'm not a master mechanic so I'll need a little
More input. Please be more specific in what you mean by " loosening the turbo bolts"Do you mean loosening the Marmon clamp(s) that hold the turbo to the exhaust or the bolts that hold the turbo to the turbo mount? Also where does the adjustment come in if I am just loosening and retightening the Marmon clamp. Thank you for the help it's much appreciated

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Hehe, I'm no master mechanic either. Yes, the clamp and the turbo mounting bolts at the pedistal. The slack comes from wherever you can manage. The point being, until it mates up closely and correctly, the downpipe clamp cannot be tightened to "pull" it into place. The pedistal bolts need to be tightened after that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help! I've posted the same question on a few forums and the consensus has been the same: exhaust leak at the connection with the turbo. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Welcome, keep us update.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts