Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2014 F250 Platinum 4x4 6.7 PS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, but I have been reading since I purchased a 2014 F250 6.7. Really interested to see what input I get here:
The truck: Platinum Crew 4x4. All stock engine and exhaust with factory tune. 138,500 miles. Highly maintained based on records, but may have been deleted, or had a tuner, at some point in it's life based on a recent reflash. ~2" level kit (puck) Bilstein 5100 shocks, LT 265/95/R20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Not sure what else may need to be shared.

This is my 3rd diesel. First one was a 98 Dodge extended cab purchased new in 98 and then a 2001 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 purchased new as well. Put 300K on the 7.3 with very little issues. Had great luck with both, but no EPA stuff. My intent is to stay stock as I will likely drive this truck for a few years and then buy new. This 2014 is a hunting, fishing, and chores truck and not daily driver.

Here is the saga: Headed out of Houston headed home yesterday on my way home to Lake Texoma. Raining cats and dogs, traffic bumper to bumper for the first hour, and getting dark, on a Saturday evening. Stereo blaring and life is good. Then the proverbial brown stuff hits the fan blades. The dreaded "exhaust fluid system fault" screen is staring me in the face about 20 miles south of Huntsville, TX. Shortly after that, it informs me that I will be limited to 50 miles and the countdown begins. With each mile ticked off, a little more leather is pinched. Pucker factor getting way up and not sure what to do. I call my diesel guy and leave a voicemail. Try to find a dealer in Huntsville. No service, but he is ready to take it in on trade right now! He doesn't know how close he was at that point to being put in time out. Tried to make a couple of other calls, and no joy. Time to make a decision. Also, almost out of fuel. I am still 200+ miles from home, driving rain, no idea what is about to happen, and no one to advise me. If you have ever made the drive up 45 to Dallas, you know there is a whole lot of nothing for a long ways. Well, made the call to fill it up, put my foot in it and haul a-- and let the chips fall. Set the cruise on 80 and started making plans to drive 50MPH on a 75MPH highway in pitch black, in pouring rain. What could go wrong, right? Watched the miles tick off, pulling the leather off the seats with each mile, and each alarm letting me know in case I am not paying attention. No music now... Gotta pay attention. The counter hits zero, and I keep going with the cruise on 80, wondering when the excitement will begin. So, all the warnings go off. No slow down, no warnings, no engine light. I begin to think my truck is playing games, but start to relax, just when the check engine light comes on. Pucker factor starts up, but I can deal with that Monday at my home dealer. I can do this. About 20 miles later, I get the warning "50 MPH after restart". No way this thing is getting shut down. Have to pee now. Did NOT WANT TO STOP, but nature calls..now. Stop at a rest stop and take care of that. Non event thankfully. Hit resume on the cruise and off we go. I think at this point, I am going to make it. Music back on. Then, the warning that the engine will go to idle soon and consult my owner's manual. It did not tell me crap and hard to read while stressed out, dark, alone, raining, and pucker factor way back up. Music now off. Keep the cruise on and trying to go as far as I can before I am idling. Just want to get to some civilization at this point. Finally do, but after about 20 alarms, I am thinking about turning around and taking the Ford guy up on his offer ASAP. Get to the southern tip of Dallas, I get a quick regen alert, and wonder how that's will fit into what's going on. Gas mileage goes to crap for a while, and then it completes, and takes the "idle" message with it. Check engine light still on. Stays that way all the way home. Pull into the driveway, feeling really good about being there. Still stressed, I peel myself off the seat, and call it a night. Go back out about an hour earlier, and guess what, no check engine light now. Are you kidding me? All that stress for nothing? Great googly moogly. Spent the next few hours calming down and researching just what the heck has transpired. Tried to get some sleep, sort of worked. Drove the truck this morning, and all is clear, except I don't trust the truck right now. Going to my mechanic Monday AM.

There is one thing I need add that may have some importance here. All the warnings started and continued while driving in heavy rain, with a lot of water on the highways. When it all stopped, it was dry. Not sure that is a factor or coincidence, but worth a mention.

Sorry for long story, but I am a storyteller...

Anyone have any input, advice, or observations?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot one meaningless but worthy of mention tidbit. About the same time the warning first started, the weather service alerted me that there is a tornado WARNING for my area and to SEEK SHELTER. Heck yes, we are having fun now...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Topped it off, but it only took about 1 gallon. Autozone read the code, but it was very general. Something like P2019 ish... It didnt tell us much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once I get it to my diesel guy, or the dealership, I hope to know more. I keep coming back to all the water...

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
That’s an intake manifold code.
But I’m sure it’s one of the other P20xx codes related to the reductant.
Heater/ sensor/ pressure/ etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was definitely related to the reductant, but it did not specify what. Do you think it could be water related since it simply worked itself out?

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Unlikely unless the connectors were open/ wires shorted by the water

·
Registered
349 Posts
Or the body mounts are collapsing, and the harness is being crushed and is chaffing between the right frame rail and the underside of the body where the harness is routed on top of the frame. I forget exactly which year that harness changed. Figured I would throw that out there for general consumption... I have seen this failure several times. Without a confirmed code(s) this is all speculation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, got it looked at today and no resolution. The only code was that P207 ish code that just says there was a fault in the system. Nothing specific. Everything tested and looked good to the mechanic. Its been driven about 50 miles since the light went out and no warnings or codes or anything. Mechanic really had no idea what could have caused it. No idea what to think or do other than just drive it and see what happens.

I did consider buying the Derringer tuner with the gauge in order to monitor all the parameters, which can record what is happening if it happens again. You can also manually start a regen with it, which is what seemed to clear everything. Fairly large investment when I really dont need the extra power. What are your thoughts on this? Worth it?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
No on the derringer. I don't know how much they cost but I would recommend either the Forscan for your phone and OBDII bluetooth adaptor or I run an EDGE CTS 2 which is a great monitor.

Reactions: TKR

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Learned some things yesterday. I had an issue about a month ago where I got a crack in the CAC tube. At some point while driving to the dealer, the check engine light came on. I assumed it was related to the cracked tube, but now I think differently. The dealer replaced the tube and ran diagnostics. He also re-flashed the PCM, but noted code P2459. I have to note that I did stop at Autozone to check the engine light and it showed P0170 with secondary DTC's of P2459 and P24A2. This week at my mechanic, he showed only P207, which he cleared. No current codes at this point. I am thinking these codes from a month ago may be indicating something?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: I could not move forward without getting some good eyes on this thing so I took it to a mechanic that has been doing work for me for nearly 20 years that I trust completely. He found that whoever reinstalled the system did not get all of the wiring really tight and a couple of sensors not completely seated. He remedied all of this and thinks this is the culprit since several were loose enough to cause an incomplete circuit and definitely susceptible to water intrusion. I hope he is right and have confidence he is.

The one thing that jumped out at me in all of this is that two diesel shops up here by me really only wanted me to delete the truck. Isnt deleting illegal? The only reason I tried to use someone local is that the drive to my mechanic is an hour each way. Trying to find someone local, but it didnt work out.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Thanks for updating. These trucks are too smart for their own good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Curious. Am I in the minority wanting to keep my truck stock?

·
Registered
2016 F350 Lariat SuperCab RWD 6.7 PSD
149 Posts
Keeping mine stock, not that many miles but to many horror stories in todays world when trying to delete!

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Nope. Gregwork has the high score but I know a couple guys with over 200k with the original DPF, EGR and DEF (minus a heater or two) system.
I may change my tune (pun intended) but it seems there are a lot of complaints with recent tuning. Ever since the EPA ban hammer fell.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts