Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading these forum postings for two weeks. Two questions...If I delete DPF and EGR, add an air intake and mini max, should I go with 4 inch or 5 inch exhaust. I want this thing to sound impressive without robbing efficiency. I saw a few posts where they claim the 5 inch exhaust will rob some of the performance, but the stock system is close to 4 inch. When I pull up to a light, I want this thing to be noticed....suggestions?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have been reading these forum postings for two weeks. Two questions...If I delete DPF and EGR, add an air intake and mini max, should I go with 4 inch or 5 inch exhaust. I want this thing to sound impressive without robbing efficiency. I saw a few posts where they claim the 5 inch exhaust will rob some of the performance, but the stock system is close to 4 inch. When I pull up to a light, I want this thing to be noticed....suggestions?
I went from just a delete pipe to a 5" dp back. I thought it sounded pretty good with the delete pipe but now that I have the 5" I like it alot more. A buddy of mine has 4" that sounds good but from hearing the 2 I like the little deeper sound of the 5". There isn't a whole lot of difference but it is a little deeper.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
5in has a deeper sound them 4in, but you'll see no benefit in performance until your pushing larger then tune only HP. Otherwise, 4in will out perform it.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide.com app.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went from just a delete pipe to a 5" dp back. I thought it sounded pretty good with the delete pipe but now that I have the 5" I like it alot more. A buddy of mine has 4" that sounds good but from hearing the 2 I like the little deeper sound of the 5". There isn't a whole lot of difference but it is a little deeper.
Any preference on which brand to go with? Flopro, mbrp, banks, the list goes on and on and on....Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Any preference on which brand to go with? Flopro, mbrp, banks, the list goes on and on and on....Thanks for the feedback
went with the flo-pro thanks to the help of some of the guys on this forum and the H&S forum. I really liked how the tailpipe exit was. Got mine from dirty diesel customs.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Also the price was very reasonable compared to some of the bigger brands - mbrp, magnaflow etc

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a 5in DP back flo pro. It fit good and sounded awesome. It's not nearly as loud as you think it's going to be.
Thanks for the info. I am not looking for loud as much as just unique. Where I live there are not a lot of these trucks that are modified. I just want to make a statement and stand out a little. A lot of guys with low HP gas engines thinking they are pretty sweet, so I want to provide some education. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I have a 4" AFE DP into a 5" flo Pro exhaust with no muffler and a 6" tip. It sounds awesome. I would like it to be a tad louder but that is impossible with these trucks.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
i dont think you would ever be able to tell the difference in performance from a 4" to 5"...by the seat of your pants.....5" looks nice and beefy, allows you to use a 6" tip that looks natural coming from a 5" pipe than it does coming from a necked down 4".... less turbo, more even sound coming from a 5" vs the 4" i have a flo pro as do 2 other trucks around here that i installed... not a single problem yet in almost 2 yrs...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
As long as its stainless you can't really go wrong, I picked up a used AFE 4" off Craigslist for $200.

Sent with my mind using ESP.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Also if you want it to look pretty forever get one made of 304, the 409 will last just as long but won't keep that shine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also if you want it to look pretty forever get one made of 304, the 409 will last just as long but won't keep that shine.

Are these systems, clamp on or weld on? I have always preferred welds, but this seems to be the opposite of that.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
As far as I know they are all clamp on, of course you could weld any of them, assuming you know how to weld stainless.

Personally I would just clamp it on.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am not looking for loud as much as just unique. Where I live there are not a lot of these trucks that are modified. I just want to make a statement and stand out a little. A lot of guys with low HP gas engines thinking they are pretty sweet, so I want to provide some education. :thumb:
Go with the 5in. You wont be dissappointed

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went with a Diamond Eye 5" turbo back straight with a 18" x 6" tip on my 2009 F450. Looks and sounds excellent, plus its EASY to install. Price is cheap also and thats a plus these days!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
i went with sinister deisel 4 inch down pipe back with muffler very easy to install and sounds bad *** go to youtube and listen to the video thats what helped me make my decision:icon_ford:

·
Registered
36 Posts

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts